Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

Hello,

No it is not the same case. However GOPRO freezes. In the case of underwater, I use the housing. However on surface, sometimes I have the problem. It seems to be a design issue, and definitely go pro will not take responsibility, especially if they have identified the problem, as it will cost them dearly.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi there.

I've been having the same issue with freezing, normally when the camera is in standby mode rather than actually recording. I called GoPro and they advised a card reformat and manual update via the SD card. Unfortunately this didn't work, nor did any of the other suggestions on various forums I've been trawling thorugh apart from one. After an hour of testing, so far so good and the solution for me is to turn the  low light function from auto to off.

Other good advise regrding battery life was to turn off GPS, WiFi and lower your screen brightness until you relly need these functions as they are the heaviest on battery consumption. 

It could be a fluke in that it's a combination of other settings but having turned it back on, it immediately froze again. 

Hope it helps the many of you who are having the same problem and hopefully GoPro are working on a firmware fix too.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

The recommendations mentioned have already been put in place but the problem continues. I have been considering the go pro behaviour from day 1 that I bought it and I have noticed the following: (just to mention that I only use it underwatre with the housing)

During the first dives, I had no problem but afterwards the problem appeared. The difference was that I had the go proon a goodman handle and basically the go pro was not "hanging around" as when I bought the "pole". To cut the long story short, the go pro behaves better when I have the following setup "Landscape Lock = UP". The freezing problem has not dissappeared, but has diminished. I will do further tests and update the case. It seems, I say only it seems, that when the go pro moves / changes orientation ( turns up/down) in a "wild manner" i.e. there are too many movements, this causes the user menu screen and the camera screen to rotate continuously. I believe that the go pro is reaching its limits and that's why it freezes. This was the difference when I was diving with the go pro on a goodman handle and on a pole. With the goodman handle the go pro was nearly steady. This means that the go pro needs a more powerfull processor. This means more memory also and definitely a more expensive gadget, and off-course they must find a way to rid of the heat dissipation.

The fact that the go pro support has asked to reformat the SD card, I think it is an excuse to push the problem further down the road.

By the way, low light option for me is in Auto mode.

I will keep on testing, and I will update the case accordingly.

Tx for your input.

Highlighted
Sightseer

got the same issue here and it sucks!!!

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

The Freezing saga continues and as yet GOPRO, has not commented on the subject. I had a dive last week, and from the moment I powered on the GOPRO underwater it started freezing, until I finished my dive. The only thing that allowed me to take some videos is the fact that when it freezes, I press the power off button for 10 seconds to restart the camera (as suggested earlier by a sufferer).

I hope that GOPRO will come back with a solution. We have given to them a lot of hints, as to what the problem could be. Definitely they can reproduce it.

Let's see.

Tx

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

I had another dive today, and the only thing I was doing was:

a) Power on the camera

b) Take a video

c) After taking the video i.e. stop shooting the video, wait for a second or two, and the camera was freezing again. The only wait to unfreeze it, was to power it off (push the on/off button for 10 secs). It needs to be made clear that the freezing of the camera takes place when the camera is NOT shooting.

d) Repeat the whole process above.

Awaiting for feedback from the GoPro support.

Highlighted
Hiker

I've noticed that turning off the low light function does seem to fix the freezes as well. Sometimes the freeze also occurs when low light is on and you turn the camera sideways.
Highlighted
Hiker

I received the 3rd replacement in 3 months, all due to freezing. I think I am happy to report I finaly got a good one. It worked perfectly today on a 2 hour MTB ride recording 20 clips with no freezing.

KEEP SENDING THEM BACK FOR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT UNTIL YOU GET ONE THAT WORKS!