Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

Those steps from @constantin07451 helped me except I didn't do the factory reset. I think the main thing that I hadn't done until recently was reinstalling the latest firmware manually. I used my hero 7 for three days with various video settings, for photos, and for time lapse capture. It didn't freeze even once during that time, which is a record for me.
Highlighted
Tourist

Interestingly this applies to my camera as well, and I have an go pro hero 5 black. Have been troubleshooting it since the day I bought it back in 2016.

1. Don’t expect the camera to work in low light conditions. On the hero 5 black I see heavy artifacting and freezing in the latest bios when using indoors.

2. Always format the SD-card on a PC before heading out for a new adventure.

3. For the hero 5 black I found that only 1440p, 1080p at max 60 fps works reliably.

4. Turn off any features you’re not using like voice commands, wireless, low light, stabilization.

I have experienced artifacts and freezing with or without black screen. Usually it will record a single first clip. Second clip may freeze or the camera may freeze after the first clip if camera is left on.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Just got my hero7 black a few days ago for use on an FPV freestyle drone. With GPS on, landscape lock and a non-formatted sd card, the camera would randomly freeze before and during some flights. What I noticed was when I was applying the G meter, speed and compass gauges - all of the info was incorrect - speed was way low, direction never changed and the G meter barely moved.

I turned the GPS off, low light off and formatted the SD card using the actual camera. So far so good. Would love to have the GPS info, but this’ll do for now.

One thing to note is that the day when the camera was failing was about 10 degrees (f) hotter than the day when it worked fine.
Highlighted
Explorer

GPS should be fine. Formatting the SD card and turning off Auto Low light (and probably also locking the horizon) most likely are what corrected the freezing.

Did you by chance check for available satellites and also check the kp index? Download UAV forecast and go into settings and disable using GLONASS and Galileo. If you don't have 9+ satellite estimated lock and a kp <4 you are much more likely to either not get GPS or get bad date. You can also place a little EMI or copper cloth under the camera mount to block electrical interference and strengthen the GPS signal.
Highlighted
Sightseer

It has nothing to do with diving, just keep your gopro in your hand and start making rapid “swimming” movements. It freezes in less than a minute with low light option on. Switch low light off and it won’t freeze. I wonder why it takes so long to fix this firmware bug.
Highlighted
Sightseer

What is the status of this bug?
Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

Just reading earlier posts of mine, this is how I test that the problem exists. I think it is related to hardware inadequacy, and not to software as such.

Tx

Highlighted
Hiker

It is there.