Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

Hi,

thanks, I will try this workaround but still it is not solution to this issue. Device with price 430 euro just can't have such an issue. Seems sad to me...

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

Well, we have bought the camera, so we are trying to do the best of it. O fully agree with you, but I think it is too complicated for gopro to provide a new firmware. It seems to be a complex problem. To my eyes, both functions need high computing capacity and hero 7 cannot provide, and thus the freezing. I do not know how they can provide a software solution for this. Anyway, just try diabling only the two functionalities suggested, and it will work.

Tx

Highlighted
Explorer

Auto low light should always be turned off. It's a relic function for people who don't know to turn the fps down to 30fps (24fps is better) in low light. Auto orientation is also not needed, unless you can't figure out how you have your camera mounted.

I've only had freezing when using one particular SD card. I use my camera 3-4 times a week and have had the camera since it came out. I never use Auto Low light and always set my orientation. After identifying the problem SD card, I've never had a freezing issue (it any other issue).
Highlighted
Hiker

I think the freezing issue is more a quality control issue, there seems to be 2 types of Hero 7 Black, the working and not working, I returned my GoPro to the Apple store from where I bought it and the Apple guy who was into drones and GoPros said he had experienced this with customers buying hoero7 camera’s, it took three camera exchanges before I finally got one bug free, yet it’s running on old 1.51 firmware? I’m not going to update it as they say, if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Brilliant camera poor quality GoPro need to get there act together.
Highlighted
Tourist

I did both of those things and mine still freezes without warning.  I never know how long I have before it will freeze again.  Lots of missed shots as a result.  It would be nice to know what intentions the company has for addressing the problem.  How many have moved on to the Osmo Action by now?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @treefrog321. Appreciate you going through the recommended steps. Since the issue persists, the next path forward is to engage our Support team for further assistance. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

Just to make sure, you have the latest version loaded on your gopro and you turn off Auto Low Light and locking the orientation and still have a problem?? Can't say much. I did quite a bit of troubleshooting before reaching this conclusion. Gd luck.

Highlighted
Explorer

@treefrog321 

For me, it turned out to be a specific SD card.  I was only using SanDisk Extreme v30 32GB and 64GB cards.  I ended up having to mark them and then after several cycles of using the card, it turned out it was only when I used a specific card that I had occasional freezing (usually around 20 minutes into use).  Once I removed that card from my card selection, I stopped having issues.

As far as Osmo Action is concerned, I'm sure there are some who have migrated over, but there are also many that have come back to GoPro.  Severe video display lag, lack of Superview, no stabilization in 4:3 or 2.7K/120fps, inferior time laps functions, condensation on front display, 18-23% crop when stabilized, inferior audio, and apparently a new rising issue of the camera just stopping to respond and not turning on.