Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

[ New ]

Hello,

I am using my Hero 7 for underwater video and photography, but mainly video. I have updated the camera with the latest firmware, but still it freezes after 5-10 minutes underwater. Once it freezes, forget about it. I cannot open the housing at the depth of 30 - 40 meters. The only way to come to life, is when I come up on the surface, and I remove and re-insert the battery back. What I have noticed is that whenever I re-indert the battery, it seems that there ia 30% of the battery life left. I do not know if this is a coincidence. What I know is:

a) The battery runs out very quickly

b) Hero 7 freezes very often

Even on surface, it freezes, and the only way to "unfreeze" it is to remove and re-insert the battery.

Guys, we need solutions. These are unacceptable problems.

Awaiting for a fix / advise.

Tx

GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

[ New ]

Hi @constantin07451

If the updated was not done manually, try updating it that way. https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Please make sure that you are working on a recommended SD card.

To help isolate where the trouble is coming from, you can also take the SD card out and see how your camera behaves.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello Aragon1006,

Thank you for your feedback. Just for the record,

a) The upgrade is done using the GoProQuik software, so I am sure that this is done correct and fine.

b) The SD card before purchasing, I consulted the list of recommended SD cards.

c) I will try over the weekend, when I will go for a dive (weather allowing) and update this block

Just to say, I read in one block that in video mode, if I disable low light, this problem will disappear. is this comment still valid ?

Tx

Br

CM

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @constantin07451

We have received several reports about the workaround (turning low light off) to solve the freezing issue.

We have reported the said issue and our team is looking into it.

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

Today I dove with my GoPro and I had the LowLight off. I did not ge any Freezing of the GoPro BUT the following conditions were different, and basically I am awaiting for my next dive to make sure about it.

a) The dive of today was around 15 meters. The other dives were deeper than 20 meters

b) When the gopro was freezing, and basically underwater I could do nothing about it, on surface I had to remove and reinsert the battery. In ALL cases the battery was shown to have 30% of life. Today, I came out with 45% of battery life. I do not know if this has something to do with the freezing.

I will keep you posted, but if the freezing is related to battery life, then this is a negative, bearing in mind the battery life of a Gopro when shhoting.

I will come with further comments next week.

Tx

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you keeping us posted, @constantin07451. We are looking forward to an update from you. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@constantin07451 

I've been having the same issue with my GoPro 7 black. What an absolute disappointment by GoPro.

Went canyoning today shooting in:

GoPro 7 black

Resolution: 4K

FPS: 50fps (PAL)

FOV: Wide

Stabilisation: Auto 

Low Light: Auto

Protune: Off

Version: 1.70

Ater turning on the GoPro I could film 1 video but once I stopped recording, if I didn't turn the GoPro off then it would either freeze after about 20 seconds or freeze as soon as I tried to record another video. I did two things which may have fixed the issue:

1. Full Gopro factory reset (in the menu option). This wiped the GoPro clean (the latest update 1.70 still remained on the camera) and so far so good.

2. Format the SD card whenever the GoPro or SD card has connected to a computer. If you connect the GoPro directly to your computer via USB cord and copy files across, or remove the SD card and plug into an SD card reader and copy files across, I think it's best to format the SD card before putting it back into the GoPro for use. I've had issues of previous GoPro models (GoPro 6), where failure to format the SD card resulted in massive issues when trying to then use the GoPro with the SD card. Problems included freezing, recordings stopping after 30 seconds etc... An SD format either on the computer or from the GoPro makes sure everything is fresh for your next adventure.

After doing these two things, so far so good and I'm not getting any freezing issues.

Furthermore for the GoPro team, the hypersmooth in low light conditions is HORRENDOUS. Change your algorithms in the next update. Stop the camera from reducing the shutter speed so low and instead let the camera increase ISO in low light conditions. I would rather a bit of noise/gain than the terrible, jerky, washed out, unsharp effect that occurs from low shutter speed combined with the hypersmooth stabilisation. The GoPro 6 handled low light conditions with EIS way way better than the GoPro 7. Whatever the setup you guys had for the 6, bring it back for the 7 coz it seriously sucks in low light conditions!

Hiker

[ New ]

I've got a similar problem (I am using Go Pro Hero 7 Black, HERO7 Black Update v1.70).

Sometimes the live-view of the touchscreen freezes (although you do not record any video or photo) and the camera can't be turned off for a while. (like it is shown in this video (NOT mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47aqsOIJBY0 ) This happens without any SD card inserted AND with SD card (every model / type). I believe it occurs if you change the angle of the GoPro (too often).

I hope GoPro will fix this bug as soon as possible.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Hiker

[ New ]
I’m not sure it has to do with the angle of the GoPro (I’m assuming you mean if the GoPro is facing up, sideways (portrait) or upside down?

I was having the same issue you described today but I had screen lock turned on so it would only film “up” and wouldn’t auto-rotate. Despite this, I still experienced the live-view freezing and touch screen freezing.

After doing the full reset and SD card format, I haven’t had any freezing.... yet! I’ve tried to recreate the same conditions as when it was freezing earlier today, but so far so good.

Maybe try a full reset of the GoPo and SD card format for yours and see if it still has the same problem?
Hiker

[ New ]

In my case, whenever I experienced this, and basically it was always underwater, on surface, I had to remove the battery for the gopro to come back to its senses !!!!!!!. I believe that the firmware under certain condition crashes. It seems that definitely GOPRO MUST fix their low light algorithm, but I also believe that they must check if there is any connection to the battery level. Unfortunately the weather was not good dfor a dive last weekend. I am waiting to see for the next weekend. I have the very latest software released on the camera and the I have disabled low light. Definitely they have something wrong going on in the firmware and needs fixing.

I will have a better understanding of what is going on after my next dive.

Tx

Hiker

[ New ]

Keep us posted!

I turned on my GoPro this morning after thinking I’d fixed the issues yesterday and guess what? IT FROZE!! The Live-view and touch screen froze immediately within seconds of turning the GoPro 7 on. I turned it off (having to press and hold the turn off button for about 10-15 seconds for it to turn off from its frozen state).

After this I didn’t have any problems but I only shot about 10 videos so it didn’t get much use.

I completely agree with you. There’s something wrong with the firmware. In fact the whole GoPro 7 itself is laggy, like it’s equipped with a slow processor trying to operate advanced software which it just can’t kept up with. GoPro have failed badly with the GoPro 7. Hopefully they sort their sh*t out and fix it soon.

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same problem :(
Hiker

[ New ]

Just went for a walk and used the GoPro 7 black again. MORE FREEZING!!! This time when trying to review some photos I had taken by swiping up on the touch screen. The live-view and touch screen froze. Had to hold down the on/off button until the unit switched off (about 10-15seconds).

Settings:
Firmware: 1.70
Resolution: 4k
FPS: 25fps (PAL)
Protune: Off
Low light: N/A
Hypersmooth: Auto

GoPro 7 you suck!!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

The weather was good today so I managed to go for a dive and off-course test my go-pro hero 7. This time I had the "low light" option off, as suggested by people experiencing the same freezing problem, that this could be the cause of the problem.

No, having the latest firmware, the go pro froze at the best time, when I was trying to take videos of lion fish at α 30 meter depth. and the battery level was around 53%, which could not be the cause.

The only thing I can assume, info from another post, where re-formating of the SD card was mandatory before using the go pro could solve the problem, makes me draw the following conclusion:

I have noticed that the GO-PRO warms up quite a bit when used. In a casing underwater or in any casing, the heat is trapped. When the go-pro tries to write on the SD card, after a period of time when on, and by that time the heat in the casing has built up, it causes the metal frame holding the SD card to expand, creating problems in the contacts, thus the freezing. As the firmware "is somehow lost" and cannot retrieve from such a fault, it crashes and freezes the gopro. It may not be a coincidence that the crashing happens when trying to write a video, and this video is not readable, actually it is the video while being written on the SD card, the go pro crashes.

If indeed this is the issue, then the problem is a design problem, and GO-PRO has to do something about it.

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate your feedback, as always, @constantin07451. We are sharing this to the team so they can further isolate the issues relating to freezing on the HERO7 Black camera. We have not received any new information yet. We will continue to look out for such and keep this thread updated. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I have a similar water freeze problem documented here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/This-is-why-my-Hero7-Black-freezes-when-in-water-does-yours/m...
Could it be the same issue we are experiencing?
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

No it is not the same case. However GOPRO freezes. In the case of underwater, I use the housing. However on surface, sometimes I have the problem. It seems to be a design issue, and definitely go pro will not take responsibility, especially if they have identified the problem, as it will cost them dearly.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there.

I've been having the same issue with freezing, normally when the camera is in standby mode rather than actually recording. I called GoPro and they advised a card reformat and manual update via the SD card. Unfortunately this didn't work, nor did any of the other suggestions on various forums I've been trawling thorugh apart from one. After an hour of testing, so far so good and the solution for me is to turn the  low light function from auto to off.

Other good advise regrding battery life was to turn off GPS, WiFi and lower your screen brightness until you relly need these functions as they are the heaviest on battery consumption. 

It could be a fluke in that it's a combination of other settings but having turned it back on, it immediately froze again. 

Hope it helps the many of you who are having the same problem and hopefully GoPro are working on a firmware fix too.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

The recommendations mentioned have already been put in place but the problem continues. I have been considering the go pro behaviour from day 1 that I bought it and I have noticed the following: (just to mention that I only use it underwatre with the housing)

During the first dives, I had no problem but afterwards the problem appeared. The difference was that I had the go proon a goodman handle and basically the go pro was not "hanging around" as when I bought the "pole". To cut the long story short, the go pro behaves better when I have the following setup "Landscape Lock = UP". The freezing problem has not dissappeared, but has diminished. I will do further tests and update the case. It seems, I say only it seems, that when the go pro moves / changes orientation ( turns up/down) in a "wild manner" i.e. there are too many movements, this causes the user menu screen and the camera screen to rotate continuously. I believe that the go pro is reaching its limits and that's why it freezes. This was the difference when I was diving with the go pro on a goodman handle and on a pole. With the goodman handle the go pro was nearly steady. This means that the go pro needs a more powerfull processor. This means more memory also and definitely a more expensive gadget, and off-course they must find a way to rid of the heat dissipation.

The fact that the go pro support has asked to reformat the SD card, I think it is an excuse to push the problem further down the road.

By the way, low light option for me is in Auto mode.

I will keep on testing, and I will update the case accordingly.

Tx for your input.

Sightseer

[ New ]

got the same issue here and it sucks!!!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

The Freezing saga continues and as yet GOPRO, has not commented on the subject. I had a dive last week, and from the moment I powered on the GOPRO underwater it started freezing, until I finished my dive. The only thing that allowed me to take some videos is the fact that when it freezes, I press the power off button for 10 seconds to restart the camera (as suggested earlier by a sufferer).

I hope that GOPRO will come back with a solution. We have given to them a lot of hints, as to what the problem could be. Definitely they can reproduce it.

Let's see.

Tx

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

I had another dive today, and the only thing I was doing was:

a) Power on the camera

b) Take a video

c) After taking the video i.e. stop shooting the video, wait for a second or two, and the camera was freezing again. The only wait to unfreeze it, was to power it off (push the on/off button for 10 secs). It needs to be made clear that the freezing of the camera takes place when the camera is NOT shooting.

d) Repeat the whole process above.

Awaiting for feedback from the GoPro support.

Hiker

[ New ]
I've noticed that turning off the low light function does seem to fix the freezes as well. Sometimes the freeze also occurs when low light is on and you turn the camera sideways.
Hiker

[ New ]

I received the 3rd replacement in 3 months, all due to freezing. I think I am happy to report I finaly got a good one. It worked perfectly today on a 2 hour MTB ride recording 20 clips with no freezing.

KEEP SENDING THEM BACK FOR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT UNTIL YOU GET ONE THAT WORKS!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there

Since my first post (16th March) regarding freeing issues I received a replacement from GoPro after giving them all the informaton regarding freezing issues whilst in standby mode. On testing, the new camera did not freeze but once I started amending settings to custom preferences, the problem came back. As per my very first post, turning off low light mode does completely fix the problem. Locking landscape screen mode also seems to help so maybe it's a combination of the two settings that's the issue. I've use the camera for the past 5 days recording about 4 hours of footage without any issues as long as auto low light function is turned off and landscape is locked.

What I'd like to know is if there's any point in getting another replacement as at some point, I may need low light function to be turned on.

I'll keep checking other people's experience.

Explorer

[ New ]

If you know to lower your frame rate in lower light conditions, you don't really need Auto Low light.  If the camera is working for you, I say stick with what you've got.  I assume you got the camera to actually go out and use, so spending time testing and dealing with exchanges might not be worth it to you.  Just go out and enjoy the camera.  

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

I have done a brief test with auto low light off and locking landscpe mode and it seems that the camera is not freezing when it is not recording (you can call it stand-by mode). I will wait for the real test underwater next week.

Thank you.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

During my yesterday's dive I used the camera with auto low light off and locking landscpe mode for over 90 minutes. I confirm that the camera did not freeze even once when in stand-by mode. People having the freezing problem, should try out this.

Tx

Hiker

[ New ]

I am at my wits end. I purchased the original camera on Feb 2, 2019. Now, on May 16 I am on the 4th camera, the 3rd replacement, all due to camera freeze. Yes, I reported a few days ago that this camera was finally working. On it's 2nd outing I was never able to get a single recording. I had to pull the battery 5 times before I finally put it away. 

I just called GoPro and after 4 non-functioning cameras I requested a refund, realizing I will lose the Hero 3 I sent in on their Trade-up program. I was told I am now more than 30 days since the original purchase date and a refund will not be provided. WHAT? I'VE NEVER HAD A WORKING PRODUCT!!!! Nope, now way, no how will they provide a refund. So now I am either stuck with a non-functioning camera or will have to continue down the warranty replacement trail.

How on this planet is this ever considered good customer service? I've litleraly never had a working product and I can't get my money back! I cannot begin to explain how pissed I am. We, as consumers, should have some protection from companies like this. Steal your money and give you nothing. 

I guess my only option is to contact every consumer protection agency I can find. I could try my local news TV station but they'll probably pass on the story. I am at a complete loss. What else can I do? I just want my money back because after nearly 3 months I've never had a working product. This companies customer service policies are to benefit them, not you. Good Luck.

Tourist

[ New ]

me too, underwater in 5 immersions freeze 2 time and the are no reasons. The only is go out and take out battery. After it work properly.

But underwater we can't do anythings !!!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

me too, underwater in 5 immersions freeze 2 time and the are no reasons. The only is go out and take out battery. After it work properly.

But underwater we can't do anythings !!!!!!

Also for me is unacceptable.

Do you know how we pay to go underwater ?
Who pay me back ???

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

My suggestion is try the camera with auto low light off and locking landscpe mode. I will try this tomorrow during a long dive again and update the blog. Also if the gopro freezes underwater, keep pressing for 10 seconds the off button and it will shutdown, and then you can power it on again.

So tomorrow, you will have some more news on the subject from me.

BR

Hiker

[ New ]

I may have a solution to the freezing up problem!!! after doing the manual update of 1.70 firmware and formating my sd card to exfat on my mac I was still getting some freeze up's but not as frequent so I went on a SLR camera site which lead me to a sd formatting app for free, since formatting the sd with this app on my mac I've had no problems up to now??? it's been 2 week freeze free, see the link for mac or windows https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Tourist

[ New ]

Good morning
it seems to me very interesting, this seems like a FAT problem, quite similarly, perhaps, I also found a temporary solution that allowed me another 20 consecutive dives without freeze.
Every day I reformat the SD card before entering the water, immediately after downloading the photos and videos in memory to the Mac.
It could be a inconsistency in the controller between reading and writing with write or concatenation addresses

Explorer

[ New ]
It's always best practice to format the card before doing a shoot.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

What are your settings on the camera? I find it very inconvinient to format every time I take the camera in myhands. This is NOT a solution.

Tx

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

Did you try " auto low light off and locking landscpe mode"?

Tx

Explorer

[ New ]
It literally takes less than one minute to format the SD card in the camera. Periodically, depending on how much you use the camera (maybe after 15-20 shoots) you should perform a FULL (not quick) format of the card in the computer.

Settings depend on the situation and what you are recording. Turning off Auto Low Light and locking the orientation is a good idea.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

I've tried your suggestion, but does not work. The only valid config for me to get rid of the freezing is Turning off Auto Low Light and locking the orientation.

Tx

Tourist

[ New ]

I've already replaced one camera on warranty but got the new with exactly the same problems - freezing after upside-down rotation (even without SD card inserted) and battery drain when everything is OFF. So it looks that all Hero7 has these problems which are discussed at many forums. Hero7 is very problematic now. And I'm not sure that it could be fixed by new FW. Personally - I'm dissapointed in GoPro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @constantin07451 and @waydownwego. Appreciate you going through recommended troubleshooting steps. If you haven't yet, please get in touch with our Support team so they can assist you with the next steps. Their contact information is at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . You may direct them to this thread for reference. Best regards!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello,

What is the reference of this thread?

Tx

Explorer

[ New ]
Referencing this thread is just letting the GoPro Support Team member know about this topic and your participation. If you are on a chat, you can copy/paste the address.
Adventurer

[ New ]

about using the camera under water, why it freezes, loses bat. and about reflashing formware , and using  FW 1.61.     

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi folks...  My Hero 7 is fully updated, tried several cards, still freezes.  Is there any resolution to this???  I can't figure out how to reload the software since it is updated.  I would suggest that you rename the software to 1.71 or something so it can be reloaded automatically since there are LOTS of folks having this issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there.

Not sure if people have seen my post a few months ago but turning off auto low light mode completely fixes the freezing issue. I had my camera replaced in the early days but the problem still persists until you turn this function off. I've tested it on and off for hours and hours and not once have I had a freeze with auto low light set to off. I appreciate it's not a proper fix, you should be able to use the camera with any setting but until GoPro come up with a proper firmware fix, it will have to do.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I recently purchased a GoPro hero 7 Black (wished I have read this forum beforehand..) and am also experiencing the same issue with the freezing. Seems to be affected only during dives (in a supersuit). I have read that turning low light from auto to off may work. Will definitely try that.

Another issue is the fact that I enjoy muck diving a lot, and I do use GoPro with the linear FOV and as well as the zoom feature to get the best macro shots. As you all may know, once you have set the zoom feature in GoPro, there is no way that we can change the settings once it is in the supersuit, underwater. This makes it extremely crucial for the camera to NOT FREEZE as freezing would lead to me turning off the camera (holding the power button for 10 seconds) and this eventually resets the mode and I will not be "zoomed in" anymore! 

GoPro you guys ought to do something about this. It has been months since the feedbacks were given. I really hope my decision to stick with you all throughout hero 4, 5 and now 7 was a good one. Would be extremely diasppointed if this problem persists. It is already disappointing that the macro use is limited in hero 7, but for a camera to frequently freeze with no obvious reasons, that's just unacceptable.

Explorer

[ New ]

@franktafl 

You can reload the firmware by downloading the Manual Update to your computer.  Extract/Unzip the UPDATE.zip folder that you've downloaded to your computer.  Using a USB/SD adapter, insert your SD card into your computer and do a FULL (not Quick) format.  Once done, copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) to the card.  Eject the card and put it into your camera.  Turn the camera on using the side Mode/Power button and it will load the firmware.  You can get the firmware here.  Choose, "Update your camera manually".  You can find the camera serial number by going to Preferences > About > Camera Info.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, tried that twice. Problem still exists until a new version is released.

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried going to the site to download it manually but there is no longer a link.  I believe someone may have taken that link down due to the issues maybe???  I'll do the low light thing then wait  (fingers crossed) that they come out with the fix ASAP!  DO YOU HEAR THESE COMPLAINTS GOPRO???  If you do, please post something!