Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

Hello,

I am using my Hero 7 for underwater video and photography, but mainly video. I have updated the camera with the latest firmware, but still it freezes after 5-10 minutes underwater. Once it freezes, forget about it. I cannot open the housing at the depth of 30 - 40 meters. The only way to come to life, is when I come up on the surface, and I remove and re-insert the battery back. What I have noticed is that whenever I re-indert the battery, it seems that there ia 30% of the battery life left. I do not know if this is a coincidence. What I know is:

a) The battery runs out very quickly

b) Hero 7 freezes very often

Even on surface, it freezes, and the only way to "unfreeze" it is to remove and re-insert the battery.

Guys, we need solutions. These are unacceptable problems.

Awaiting for a fix / advise.

Tx

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Freezes continuously

Hi @constantin07451

If the updated was not done manually, try updating it that way. https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Please make sure that you are working on a recommended SD card.

To help isolate where the trouble is coming from, you can also take the SD card out and see how your camera behaves.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello Aragon1006,

Thank you for your feedback. Just for the record,

a) The upgrade is done using the GoProQuik software, so I am sure that this is done correct and fine.

b) The SD card before purchasing, I consulted the list of recommended SD cards.

c) I will try over the weekend, when I will go for a dive (weather allowing) and update this block

Just to say, I read in one block that in video mode, if I disable low light, this problem will disappear. is this comment still valid ?

Tx

Br

CM

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @constantin07451

We have received several reports about the workaround (turning low light off) to solve the freezing issue.

We have reported the said issue and our team is looking into it.

Feel free to post back if something comes up.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Hello,

Today I dove with my GoPro and I had the LowLight off. I did not ge any Freezing of the GoPro BUT the following conditions were different, and basically I am awaiting for my next dive to make sure about it.

a) The dive of today was around 15 meters. The other dives were deeper than 20 meters

b) When the gopro was freezing, and basically underwater I could do nothing about it, on surface I had to remove and reinsert the battery. In ALL cases the battery was shown to have 30% of life. Today, I came out with 45% of battery life. I do not know if this has something to do with the freezing.

I will keep you posted, but if the freezing is related to battery life, then this is a negative, bearing in mind the battery life of a Gopro when shhoting.

I will come with further comments next week.

Tx

Highlighted
GoPro

We appreciate you keeping us posted, @constantin07451. We are looking forward to an update from you. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

@constantin07451 

I've been having the same issue with my GoPro 7 black. What an absolute disappointment by GoPro.

Went canyoning today shooting in:

GoPro 7 black

Resolution: 4K

FPS: 50fps (PAL)

FOV: Wide

Stabilisation: Auto 

Low Light: Auto

Protune: Off

Version: 1.70

Ater turning on the GoPro I could film 1 video but once I stopped recording, if I didn't turn the GoPro off then it would either freeze after about 20 seconds or freeze as soon as I tried to record another video. I did two things which may have fixed the issue:

1. Full Gopro factory reset (in the menu option). This wiped the GoPro clean (the latest update 1.70 still remained on the camera) and so far so good.

2. Format the SD card whenever the GoPro or SD card has connected to a computer. If you connect the GoPro directly to your computer via USB cord and copy files across, or remove the SD card and plug into an SD card reader and copy files across, I think it's best to format the SD card before putting it back into the GoPro for use. I've had issues of previous GoPro models (GoPro 6), where failure to format the SD card resulted in massive issues when trying to then use the GoPro with the SD card. Problems included freezing, recordings stopping after 30 seconds etc... An SD format either on the computer or from the GoPro makes sure everything is fresh for your next adventure.

After doing these two things, so far so good and I'm not getting any freezing issues.

Furthermore for the GoPro team, the hypersmooth in low light conditions is HORRENDOUS. Change your algorithms in the next update. Stop the camera from reducing the shutter speed so low and instead let the camera increase ISO in low light conditions. I would rather a bit of noise/gain than the terrible, jerky, washed out, unsharp effect that occurs from low shutter speed combined with the hypersmooth stabilisation. The GoPro 6 handled low light conditions with EIS way way better than the GoPro 7. Whatever the setup you guys had for the 6, bring it back for the 7 coz it seriously sucks in low light conditions!

Highlighted
Hiker

I've got a similar problem (I am using Go Pro Hero 7 Black, HERO7 Black Update v1.70).

Sometimes the live-view of the touchscreen freezes (although you do not record any video or photo) and the camera can't be turned off for a while. (like it is shown in this video (NOT mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47aqsOIJBY0 ) This happens without any SD card inserted AND with SD card (every model / type). I believe it occurs if you change the angle of the GoPro (too often).

I hope GoPro will fix this bug as soon as possible.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.