Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 7 Black night Video

Hello

I bought the gopro hero 7 black. The stabilization is super, but what happens with the night- low light video guys ??? Have you see it? It’s horrible!!! A lot of noise. I tryed everything. Auto settings, protune settings. Low Iso, max Iso and more. But nothing… The video stay awful. 

Thanks

Nomad

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Black night Video

Either turn off the stabilization at night if the camera is not moving,  or make sure that your "auto low light" setting is turned off if the camera is moving.  This will certainly help.

Tourist

Thank you for your Reply.

Yes the low light is off. The stabilization is on because i tested moving. I think that maybe Gopro must make an update!

Explorer

Low light, and especially night time, is not a good environment for an action camera. It has a small sensor and a wide angle lens. The best you can do is use settings that will improve your results, but you should never expect this camera to look great at night. It's simply not the appropriate camera for this type of shooting (unless you are doing Night lapse Photos).

What are your settings?
Resolution:
Frame Rate:
Shutter:
EV:
ISO MIN:
ISO MAX:
WB:
Sharpness:
Color:
Stabilization: On/Off
Auto Low Light: On/Off
What specifically are you recording?
What video editor do you use?

If you give us some information we might be able to help you out.
Tourist

Thanks for answer

Frame Rate: 24 
Shutter: 1/24
EV: N/A
ISO MIN: 100
ISO MAX: 400/800
WB: Native
Sharpness: Medium
Color: Flat
Stabilization: On (because i tried on moving)
Auto Low Light: N/A
What specifically are you recording? A person Walking at night with street lights
What video editor do you use? premier

Hiker

Shutter should be double the frame rate. In your case 1/48 for 24fps

Explorer

[ Edited ]

A shutter of 1/24 is waaay too slow. As mentioned in the post above, doubling the frame rate is the standard rule for "cinemtaic" look. For the best use of stabilization, you need a shutter 3X the frame rate.

Since you are shooting at night without much variance in light, choose the ISO that works best for your shutter and scene and set the MIN and MAX to the same value.

You didn't mention resolution, but obviously a higher resolution will generally look better. If I'm going to use the GoPro for night shooting, I generally use 4K (4:3)/24fps and then drop it in a 1080p 16:9 sequence. I set my WB manually, but if you are good at color grading, Native should be fine. A low sharpness also tends to give better results.

This video was shot 4K (4:3)/24fps with shutter Auto, EV 0, ISO MIN 800 MAX 800, WB (I think it was 5500K) manually set, Sharpness Low, Color Flat. In the beginning I over did the lumenence and bright the shadows and blacks up too high (it's a family video so I was more concerned in seeing my kid's faces than worrying about noise/grain). Overall though, I think the HERO7 Black did pretty good.
https://youtu.be/Sd_euBkPCqo

Tourist

The resolution i think it was 1080

I will try it again .

Thank you