Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Gopro Hero 7 Black: Drained battery once every (!) week

I have a drained battery once a week since I have my Hero 7 - today too. That's very unreliable - never had this problem with my Hero 4 in four years of almost daily usage.
All wireless connections, voice command and GPS are off. Sometimes when I grab the Hero 7 it's hot, but I still can't turn it on. I have to remove and reinsert the battery before. After that it may have a few percent of voltage left. It's a Samsung battery and the recommended Sandisk Extreme SD card, in-camera formatted. Battery is charged on multiple devices - wall charger, iMac, PC. What can I do to prevent that? It's annoying trying to turn tne Hero 7 on for a shooting opportunity and it's dead. I still carry my Hero 4 with me for that case.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Gopro Hero 7 Black: Drained battery once every (!) week

Hi @bompelbob,

Please try to drain the battery first. 

Charge the camera.

Reset the camera and install new update manually. 

If issue persist

Please contact our customer support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

read the  made in where o nteh battery and post up, also its  senseless to turn off QC quick capture but wort hthe shot mentioned by Tallsguy,    as the hero 5 I had to do that if qc was off the battery drained so this can be the opposite.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Battery is made in Vietnam. Is that a good or a bad thing? I suspect it's a software thing. The camera doesn't seem to shut down correctly and stays on. That's why it's getting hot after a while. It may be a coincidence, but sometimes the screen stays on a few seconds after the shut down beeps. I suppose that's what lead to todays battery drain.

Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Sorry bout my typo's.   that is the better battery for sure.    we have a battery thread topic.   I wonder ifthat can be related?  and I notice what you're noticing at times but for me last night my bat drained  Idid not pay attention as the hours were real late.   Was the shut down via Mode on, or quick capture?

Highlighted
Hiker

I shut the camera down via Mode button. By the way, I made some tests - holding down the button longer than needed - but I couldn't reproduce the battery drain with that.
GoPro

Hi @bompelbob,

Please try to drain the battery first. 

Charge the camera.

Reset the camera and install new update manually. 

If issue persist

Please contact our customer support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

Before you do anything else, try this.   Turn the camera on, then turn it off. 

Say "GoPro Turn on"   and see if it turns itself on. 

I discovered a while back that despite the setting "Wake on voice" being Off (was off when I bought the camera) it was still turning on to "GoPro turn on" because it did it while I watching a YT video when someone said it.    Replicated it several times after that.

Only way I could turn it off for good was to first turn "Wake on Voice" ON, then turn it OFF. 

If that's the case for your camera then it's burning battery for at least 8 hours listening for voice commands, even when it's off. 

Hiker

I brought the camera back to the store where I bought it this morning and got a new one. Hope it won't happen again. They said I was the first customer to complain about that issue in their store.
@daemn42: Your idea sounds great and is worth a try. I read it too late though. But thanks for your input, maybe it helps someone else here.