Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 6 / Fusion Bluetooth microphone support?

Since we can't connect a simple USB C to 3.5mm adapter other than the bulky one GoPro offers (won't work, I tried it), and Sena's backpack only works on the Hero 3 & 4, can I pair a bluetooth microphone to my Hero 6 or Fusion directly?

I don't want that giant adapter falling off in-flight and getting caught in my paramotor's propeller. It could cause serious injury. Especially if the cord gets tangled and pulls my head into the prop with it.

I want to get a Sena 10R for my helmet, but I don't want to spend that kind of money with no way of knowing if it will work. I should have asked this before I purchased the Hero 6.

Tourist

Re: Gopro Hero 6 / Fusion Bluetooth microphone support?

I hope any Community manager to escalate this to the Software Engineers and the Product Development Team: WE HATE THE MICROPHONE ADAPTER.

It is ridiculous to have to spend $50 more on a bulky adapter to be able to use an external microphone.

Please, I'm begging you, update the firmware to be able to connect a Bluetooth microphone. Or at least, update the app to allow us to use a microphone connected to the phone.

At first GoPro was great because of the enormous quantity of options, it is frustrating to have options reduced on this.

GoPro

Hello @scottd3724 and @bravecliff67157

Rest assured that this matter has already been forwarded to the team. We will post update once available. Thank you for your feedback and suggestion for improvement. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ Edited ]

This is massively important to me as well.

I need to use an external mic AND my Karma Grip which is impossible as the adapter completely blocks the gimbals abiltiy to orbital around the camera. 

It's a complete showstopper for me being able to use the HERO6 and currently I have a lot of buyers regret over not being able to add a bluetooth microphone so I can capture decent audio outside of the gimbals movement range, I am going to have to return the grip and hero6 for a refund and look at buying a Sony or Yi instead.

Its a really bad design decision gopro, please please open bluetooth to external hardware as you're just limiting your users and forcing them to go else where. 

Tourist

Check the following video made by a popular youtuber on how bad the adaptor solution is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYNuaxRjjs
Tourist

I think GoPro never thought that some us need to use external mics on rainy conditions. Keeping the door open may damage mine! A Bluetooth one should be the fix of all my issues.
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Its an incredibly bad design. I was just looking at a teardown of the mic adapter, and its entire PCB is potted in resin to make it waterproof or more water resistant, yet as you say you need to open the door and leave the door open to connect it.

Further to that it seems the unit has some sort of DRM involved to stop other people producing cheaper alternatives. This to me suggests GoPro won't be adding bluetooth support for external mics. They want you to remain locked into buying only GoPro equipment. which to me is a big shame.

I have made a decision to return mine and the karma grip and buy a Sony FDR-X3000 - it's a shame as I like the GoPro's FPS range at 1080p and the 4k/60fps is real nice, but forcing me to buy more of your own gear and locking out others. after I have already spent over £500 on GoPro gear is just too much. It's also not viable as a piece of tech. I am part of the growing runnning community who vlogs and the less weight you need to carry the better.

Tourist

Looking into this more, lots of people have been asking GoPro to address the audio / gimbal situation for a long time now:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/External-Microphone-While-Using-Karma-Grip/td-p/39307

GoPro clearly don't plan to listen!