Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Gopro Hero 6 / Fusion Bluetooth microphone support?

[ New ]

Since we can't connect a simple USB C to 3.5mm adapter other than the bulky one GoPro offers (won't work, I tried it), and Sena's backpack only works on the Hero 3 & 4, can I pair a bluetooth microphone to my Hero 6 or Fusion directly?

I don't want that giant adapter falling off in-flight and getting caught in my paramotor's propeller. It could cause serious injury. Especially if the cord gets tangled and pulls my head into the prop with it.

I want to get a Sena 10R for my helmet, but I don't want to spend that kind of money with no way of knowing if it will work. I should have asked this before I purchased the Hero 6.

Anonymous

Re: Gopro Hero 6 / Fusion Bluetooth microphone support?

[ New ]
I hope any Community manager to escalate this to the Software Engineers and the Product Development Team: WE HATE THE MICROPHONE ADAPTER.

It is ridiculous to have to spend $50 more on a bulky adapter to be able to use an external microphone.

Please, I'm begging you, update the firmware to be able to connect a Bluetooth microphone. Or at least, update the app to allow us to use a microphone connected to the phone.

At first GoPro was great because of the enormous quantity of options, it is frustrating to have options reduced on this.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

Rest assured that this matter has already been forwarded to the team. We will post update once available. Thank you for your feedback and suggestion for improvement. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

This is massively important to me as well.

I need to use an external mic AND my Karma Grip which is impossible as the adapter completely blocks the gimbals abiltiy to orbital around the camera. 

It's a complete showstopper for me being able to use the HERO6 and currently I have a lot of buyers regret over not being able to add a bluetooth microphone so I can capture decent audio outside of the gimbals movement range, I am going to have to return the grip and hero6 for a refund and look at buying a Sony or Yi instead.

Its a really bad design decision gopro, please please open bluetooth to external hardware as you're just limiting your users and forcing them to go else where. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Check the following video made by a popular youtuber on how bad the adaptor solution is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYNuaxRjjs
Anonymous

[ New ]
I think GoPro never thought that some us need to use external mics on rainy conditions. Keeping the door open may damage mine! A Bluetooth one should be the fix of all my issues.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

Its an incredibly bad design. I was just looking at a teardown of the mic adapter, and its entire PCB is potted in resin to make it waterproof or more water resistant, yet as you say you need to open the door and leave the door open to connect it.

Further to that it seems the unit has some sort of DRM involved to stop other people producing cheaper alternatives. This to me suggests GoPro won't be adding bluetooth support for external mics. They want you to remain locked into buying only GoPro equipment. which to me is a big shame.

I have made a decision to return mine and the karma grip and buy a Sony FDR-X3000 - it's a shame as I like the GoPro's FPS range at 1080p and the 4k/60fps is real nice, but forcing me to buy more of your own gear and locking out others. after I have already spent over £500 on GoPro gear is just too much. It's also not viable as a piece of tech. I am part of the growing runnning community who vlogs and the less weight you need to carry the better.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Looking into this more, lots of people have been asking GoPro to address the audio / gimbal situation for a long time now:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/External-Microphone-While-Using-Karma-Grip/td-p/39307

GoPro clearly don't plan to listen!
Anonymous

[ New ]
If you read the instructions you can actually use the GoPro app to connect directly to Bluetooth, but it only supports certain headsets apparently. I found that out the hard way. So you have to connect both to your phone via Bluetooth, not Wi-Fi, and then use the app to connect the Bluetooth with the camera...it's an annoying path to take.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Yeah, and this is stupid. There is non reason whatsoever not to allow people to connect their bluetooth microphones to their GoPro. I cannot understand why they haven't allowed us to do this yet. It only takes some coding and a firmware update.

Watch out, GoPro. Other companies are starting to catch up and you will lose customers if you start having this kind of restrictive behavior.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@mariustanya

Any update on this?

There's a pretty long list of people who'd be happy to have working external microphone support.

GoPro

[ New ]

We have no new information at this time, @Anonymous . We will keep you posted. Best regards!

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is a very important issue.
Gopro customers are consuming a lot of energy to solve audio problems.
We pay a lot of time and money and try to solve the problem.
Please do not regret that we have chosen Gopro products.
Customers are not that patient.
Gopro has opened a new world.
I hope so in the future.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey can you explain this a little more? Do you connect the sena as a second phone? I'm trying to do it now no luck

Tourist

[ New ]

Has there been any progress on this matter yet? One invests into a camera that seems to be insulated against water etc, but when I want to use another microphone, and not the truly bad microphone inside, I only have two impossible options: lose the insulation by opening the necessary port and plugging in a cable that disables also my gimbal or opt for an insufficient audio quality that disallows me from making good videos. I urge you to work on Bluetooth mic compatibility. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
This is a seriously important and basic feature that needs to be added to the app or GoPro firmware. Will make the vlogs so easy.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @hariprasad43231,

We'll suggest that. 

We will post here as soon as we receive a confirmation.

Regards,

-jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I was all prepared to purchase two Hero6 Black units but find that it is impossible to connect a Bluetooth microphone to these units.  Have a large investment in GoPro already and don't want to have to look at other manufacturer's solutions.  After reading this thread, it appears that the company has been aware of this issue for some time but has nothing to offer.  Is there a timetable available for when this feature will be available?

Sightseer

[ New ]

So another gopro launch with no bluetooth audio support?  Come on guys!  Even Garmin got this right!  

Hiker

[ New ]

I totally agree with all that has been said here. I'm really interested in buying a Hero 7 but if they haven't given us a way to plug in a USB mic (like the Saramonic one I currently use with my Hero 4, or even better a Bluetooth one...) then I won't be purchasing. I'm happy they've improved the built-in mic/audio but I'd still like the option to use my own. 

Tourist

[ New ]

It is not possible to connect a bluetooth-mic to the GoPro 7? I'm sure, that is a joke.

Hiker

[ New ]

That's what I seemed to read from this thread.... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong! 

Hiker

[ New ]

Bottom line seems to be that GoPro would rather risk camera sales than canibalize the sales of the (awful) audio adapter.  I gave up on them implementing this feature long ago.  It's ridiculously obvious why we all want it, and it could have been done al the way back in the Hero 5.

Bluetooth audio in and a sealed magnetic power input would make the GoPro 100X more usable out in the real world.  Audio and power in without breaching the weather sealing!  You're only ever going to see it in a Yi or Garmin though unfortunately.  GoPro quit listening to their users back about August of 2015.  Look at any stock price chart for the evidence...

Sightseer

[ New ]
Lost another sale here because of this unnecessary issue.
Sightseer

[ New ]

just bought GoPro Fusion. Didnt thought about mic issues. Please add blutooth mic in!!!! What is the problem? You could even sell some bluetooth mic and make much more money!!!

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback, @arturasa550. This has been raised to the team but there is no information or update about it yet. We will keep you posted. Best regards!

Hiker

[ New ]

Here's some additional feedback:  I just watched the 1st video I made with my new Garmin Virb 30.  Page 12 of the manual for the Virb had the 3 simple steps needed to connect my BLUETOOTH mic.  My (last) GoPros are on their way to eBay...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I bought a GoPro 6 and was shocked by the fact that you can not connect a Bluetooth microphone. For what purpose do you need Bluetooth in this device? What can be connected and how to use? I think a microphone is the only thing useful for Bluetooth connection in an action camera. And so it turns out that there is no Bluetooth need the camera at all. Disappointed in GoPro!

Sightseer

[ New ]

With riding season coming up soon I have been reading and looking again online to find a way to connect my SENA bluetooth set to my Gopro and have found nothing of note other that you all saying this topic has been pushed up the line to managment. I would even look to purchase the new 7 but that too won't allow such an obvious function. The Garmin Virb does this really well but I prefer to stay with what I know and have enjoyed for years and that is Gopro....please give us some kind of update or timeline or you will continue to lose business with numerous bikers who are moving to Garmin and others.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rapidridge15764,

Thank you for your feedback. 

We'll make sure that this will be forwarded to our team. 

This would really help us to make our product better. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

I think this should be truly a priority to your team, as a previous user of GOpro 5 black and GOpro 6 black I consider this Bluetooth microphone connectivity to be an essential attribute, as it no longer matters whether the quality if 1080p /120 or 4K /60, what is essential is whether I can hear the speech or voice comments at our holidays or just wind rushing around. I've got a lot of useful footage because of this. If you want me to buy a next camera - please work on this issue wireless microphone connectivity issues (we really want to play in the water while having the chance to be heard). 

Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have wasted way too much time trying to find a reasonable way to get better audio out of my GoPro 6...I give up! Thank you for the recommendations of the Garmin Virb. I'll ebay this with strong warnings that the audio is terrible and try buy something that as better audio and supports external mics without a big clunky box, AND supports Bluetooth mics. Good luck GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Jay, thanks for letting us know. I can't tell from your username but infer from your response you are an employee of GoPro? Can you tell us whether this is something that could be implemented in current hardware by way of a firmware/software update or would it be impossible?
Nomad

[ New ]

Sounds like this would be a great addition for the next model GoPro.  A lot of people seem to want to record their voice directly to the GoPro, in fact, having an audio mixer on the next model might be a good thing.  So you can adjust the volume recorded from the devices microphones vs a bluetooth input.

Currently I mount my GoPro on the wing of the plane and then just record cockpit audio with a $34 digital voice recorder.  It's a simple solution that works very well, it's quite cheap and can handle a variety of microphone inputs and setups.  I then I can mix the audio myself during post production.  However for people who don't want to take the step of mixing audio or spend $34 on a voice recorder a bluetooth input on the camera would be most welcome it seems.

It's something that would be needed on the next generation Fusion for sure as a microphone adaptor or external cable might get in the way of a 360 degree shot.  Thanks for ensuring all of this is being passed back to the development teams, cannot wait to see what they take onboard.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

It should be easy for the company to just add a feature to the existing GoPro App that allows the user to automatically record audio from a specified device (for example internal microphone of the cellphone or just a connected bluetooth headset) if the gopro starts recording and the smartphone is connected to it via bluetooth or wifi. This would be a legit solution for many of us.

Of course it would be even better if GoPro just allows us to connect any Bluetooth audio input device directly to our camera. That would eliminate the smartphone and also provides us a single space to store our video and audio footage.

Of course it would be even better if GoPro drops its licence check for devices that are connected via USB-C.

And now the funniest part: If GoPro wants to sell their massive and expensive bricks, then why it isn't available most of the time? (Germany).

Explorer

[ New ]

@foggystorm3201 

I assume you've done this in an app or device.  Perhaps you could provide GoPro with your source code.  Considering, "it should be easy", perhaps you can provide your simple answers "that allows the user to automatically record audio from a specified device (for example internal microphone of the cellphone or just a connected bluetooth headset)".  You can leave your info for the GoPro engineers by using this link.

Thanks! Smiley Very Happy