Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Gopro Hero 6 240 FPS / Can't open files

[ New ]

I just need to mention to all Hero 6 owners, Please do yourself a favor and buy real premium video editing software if you truely want to get the most out of your camera.

Gopro's Quick software is nice for importing but i personally find it unusable for even basic editing.

Anyone can pm for if you want the name of said software.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Been trying to edit 240fps films for a few days and like most people, Quik freezes up, Adobe Premiere Pro imports the file as an audio file, the youtube workaround is useless. I eventually found out that windows movie maker can edit these files. You can download it online yourself or at this link.

https://www.windows-movie-maker.org/download.html

If you want to play the 1080p 240fps at 30fps (8x slower) then import the video into movie maker and under the video editing tab, look for speed and select 0.125x from the drop down menu. The preview playback still looks a bit jerky/steppy but when you export it to a 1080p mp4 file, it plays perfectly. Also, I am using a GTX1050 and haven't had any problems with playback of these files

I've not tried it with 4k video yet.

Good luck

Hiker

[ New ]
@Anonymous, Just to confirm, you didn't need anything special to import the 1080p@240fps h265 codec mp4 into Windows Movie Maker?

I've been using that for many years. I don't need all the flashy stuff many other non-free programs offer, but the reason I was literally about to buy the hero 6 (was going to go pick one up at lunch) was for the 240fps slowmo.

Up to this point, I've been using cheap cams and my last akaso EK7000 no longer focuses. It's my 3rd one... so figured it was time to just get a good high quality cam and be done with it.

If WMM can't edit the 1080p@240 files the hero 6 puts out, then I'll just get the hero 5 and save the $100. As far as I can tell, that's one of the main differences between the two.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Just make sure to download the 2016 version, not the 2018, becasue 2018 version is crap. It does not have the speed functionality, and even if you manage to export in 240fps it will watermark the exported video.

Hiker

[ New ]

I ended up getting the hero5 and most recently picked up a hero5 session for FPV footage. I record on the hero5 1080p@120fps with EIS off since it's not supported above 60fps. With the session, I use 1080p@60fps with EIS on. The first videos I made using WMM I just put the FPV footage after the main camera's footage. Was a pain having to edit down both streams, then cut/move/paste the FPV footage around. 2 hours of footage edited for 2 cameras was 4 hours of rough footage to edit for a 4 minute video!

I ended up buying software that allowed me to show PIP with the FPV always in the upper right corner. Getting the two synced was a pain, but once that was done, I only had to edit once. Makes for a more entertaining video of my RC's.

I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 16.