Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro Hero 5 mic adapter

[ New ]
The Hero 5 mic adapter is out of stock everywhere. I have spent a lot of the trying to find this without paying price gouging prices for a used one. Meantime I'm suffering through sucky audio. Any idea where one can find this or when they will be in stock?
Explorer

Re: Gopro Hero 5 mic adapter

[ New ]
HERO5 Session has pretty good audio recording, but as far as the Pro Mic Adapter goes, it tends to be restocked about every two weeks. Unfortunately, I seems that opportunistic individuals jump on it each time and buy out the stock. I've seen on 3rd party sellers promised ship dates in mid July so I expect that is when the next stock is coming.

Just FYI on the HERO5 Session and an external recorder. It works, but the camera has to be powered on first. You shouldn't try using Quick Capture (Turn on and Record with top Shutter) with it. It sometimes works (mostly with powered mics), but it isn't consistent. If the camera is powered on first, then it works fine.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks Daniel, I will work to find out the best options for getting in on the next order cycle. I have a constant hiss that I hope will also be eliminated with an external mic which I previously ordered but cannot use until I can get the adapter.
Explorer

[ New ]
Best of luck. There should be a new stock coming soon. Many online stores like B&H will give you a stock alert when they have them https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274435-REG/gopro_aamic_001_3_5mm_mic_adapter.html

What external mic did you get?

An alternative is getting an external recorder. I use a H1n and it works great. I also hear a lot of good reviews about the Tascam DR-05. It's pretty easy to sync the audio and the quality is much better. You just need to make a loud noise, or just tap the mic onto the camera, to create a sync marker.
Adventurer

[ New ]

H5Session

to use the mic  see some vids about using it I say.  you can not just  Hit record and  capture ext sound.

Tourist

[ New ]
I picked up one of the RODE shotgun mics that was recommended. I hadn't heard of the external recorder option before. I'll do some readin on it. Thanks for the link and advice e the adapter.
Explorer

[ New ]
RODE mics work well. Personally, I use the micro version of their shotgun mic.
Tourist

[ New ]
Good to hear. I have the micro version also. Can't wait to use it!

Best
Ernie