Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Gopro Hero 5 Session external microphone intermittently recording audio

[ New ]

Hi Ethanw101,

I am using a cheap stereo mic I purchased from my local eletronics store, I found this Sony below for $12 at Fry's which is similar to the one I have. Maybe if the mic is stereo (dual condenser mic) it will show more options.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11514079831088128448?lsf=seller:6136318,store:16929886286040...

Condenser mic.jpg
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi All, I just wanted to update my issue I was having with the external microphone intermittently recording audio. The issue is still happening where I start recording but I have no audio, and the work around for this (unplugging and reconnecting the Mic) works every time. I don't know if GoPro will fix this issue but for now it is just one more step I need to perform so I can have audio along with my video.

Smiley Mad

Adventurer

[ New ]

are you actually plugging in the mic, then hitting shutter to record.  or are you plugging in mic pressing back mode , and pressing Mic Line in Okay .

Anonymous

[ New ]

Once you figure out what Mic setting is best for you and you want to record, I have been pressing record waiting a few seconds then I unplug the Mic and plug it back in and my audio works. It seems like it can not detect the Mic unless it's recording then it detects when it's reconnected

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, I have the exact issue.

My external mic is Sony ECMCS3 and i tried it with couple of other devices such as my computer and it worked fine.

I also contacted GoPro in order to replace my 3.5mm mic adapter for my Hero 5 Session and when i got the new one it still didn't work.

Even if i start video and then unplug the mic and then plug it again it still not recording.

I am using "Mic" in the setting and not "Line In"(even though i tried it and it still didn't worked).

Of course when not using the mic adapter the camera record sound just fine.

What do you think is the solution for the problem?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I too am having the same issue. Doing it in my motorcycle helmet, I have the hero 5 session with the gopro audio adapter and then my countryman style microphone plugged into that and then run inside my helmet. My audio is super intermittent, it seems like if I plug it in here at my desk and bench test the whole system, it works. then I go out riding and its like the 1st time i record it works, but after that every video startswith this audible "pop" then muted the whole time. I've tried 3 different mics and am getting same results. I should also mention that when it IS working, I'm only getting mono record, meanign when i play it back its only coming through the left channel. So **bleep** frustrating! What could be the problem? 

Hiker

[ New ]
Still didn't resolve it. I wish i would have bought a different camera...
Even those chinise cameras like sjcam, xiome can do better, and i am not even talking about the huge adapter
Adventurer

[ New ]

yeah one got a long wire instead.