Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Gopro Hero 5 Session external microphone intermittently recording audio

[ New ]

I'm going to borrow a friends adaptor soon and help me diagnose if its the adaptor thats the problem, or the mic. I also have my last ditch effort microphone on the way from amazon. I will not let this beat me. LOL

Anonymous

[ New ]

Sorry for this late update but I wanted to make sure that things were working before I posted. I want to say up front that some of this might sound like a rant, but it's definitely not. Overall I'm happy with the results.

I contacted GoPro, which was a pain because if you're on hold for 10 minutes it disconnects you so you have to call again. After going through this numerous times I finally got through to someone and they were very helpful. She and I ended up communicating through email over the course of a month with brief periods of no communication while waiting for stuff that was getting shipped. First they wanted me to send them a video of proof showing the mic issues, certainly a reasonable request. I sent a video while talking towards the camera and then disconnected the microphone adapter and it immediately started recording audio properly. The determination by GoPro was that I had either a faulty camera or adapter.

The first trial to fix it was for GoPro to send me a replacement Mic adapter. It took about 5 days to receive it (I live on the East coast and it was coming from Cali so that's a 5 day trip by ground). Once I received the adapter I tried it out and it immediately had the same issue. GoPro then wanted me to send my Session 5 to them for testing. I'm glad I kept my receipt because they wanted to see the date it was purchased by me along with the serial # of the Session (which was rubbing off just from trying to plug in the microphone adapter while wearing my helmet... I remedied this by putting a little piece of tape over the serial number on my next Session).

It took about 5 days to get an RMA from GoPro, which I had to email them on the 5th day and ask for the RMA again. The nice part is that I didn't have to pay return shipping as GoPro provided me with a return label. I sent the GoPro out the next day and it arrived in Cali 5 days later. The testing period is around 3 days for them to get to it. On the 3rd they they said that they were going to send me a new unit.

Another 5 days later I have my new GoPro and through my extensive trials of it, it seems to be working properly.

This unit says 'Audio Ok' when a microphone is plugged in where as my old unit would say 'Mic Ok' on the tiny screen. The new one will record audio with every configuration of plugging the microphone in. I can leave it plugged in and start and stop the GoPro as many times as I want with no issue. The only thing I notice is that there is still a Mic 'Pop' when first turning on the GoPro while attached, but it records properly at least. 

I'm not sure if mine was part of a large bad batch of units or if the issues are due to the newest update. I have also noticed that my new GoPro does not have a 'Format SD Card' option in the menu where as my previous one did, I'm wondering if this is because I haven't updated the new one. Since it's working I'm hesitant to update it and, for now, will just deal with the incorrect date of recording showing when I load it onto the computer.

Ultimately I'm happy that my new one works properly.... and the free $50 mic adapter is a little icing on the cake that makes the whole month long process worthwhile.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Man, awesome write up. thanks so much for posting this. I will be doing the exact same to resolve my issue as well. I've now tried 4 different mics, and 2 different adaptors and they all have had the same (or lack thereof) success. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Happy you at least got something working 

Anonymous

[ New ]

just got one, first day, audio recorded with every clip. today, only the first clip! Updated the software before the first day, the unit shows its v02:00. disappointing that such a critial function is buggy.

Anonymous

[ New ]

like others, after starting a clip, unplugging and replugging-in the mic (just the 3.5mm mic, not the usb-c external mic adapter) works. Even though "mic ok"  was shown before unplugging, it did not record the audio beforehand.

doing a series of tests:

1. everything connected, press record for the first time for the day, audio works.

2. stop recording #1, wait a few seconds leave everything connected, start recording #2. no audio.

3. stop recoding #2, wait a few seconds leave everything connected, start recording #3. no audio. unplug mic, replug it in. audio works.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hmmm, a lot of info to digest here.  I will say two things...one, the Hero 5 Session has to be powered up prior to recording when you have a non-powered external mic plugged in in order to get any audio.  It will not record audio if you are just pressing the top shutter button - the camera has to be powered on first.  Second, that Sony stereo mic pictured earlier in the thread does not work properly with the GoPro Hero 5. You will get lots of garbage on your audio when using it.  There are youtube videos demonstrating this - here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4h75QClVvqPgMQV7VAyPxoPCzoceb3qZ&v=3DjaN9iNhCE    Hope this helps someone.

When I did some Motovlog testing with my new GoPro Hero 5 Black, I got back home afterward and viewed the video files. There was an annoying and random poppi...
Hiker

[ New ]
Exactly.
Do you have some suggestions for a good(and not big) non powered mic and also for a powered mic?
Thanks