Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Gopro App for hero 8 and android 8.1.0

Just got a hero 8 and I can't use the gopro app on my moto e play with android version 8.1.0 tried earlier versions but with no avail. Any help would be grateful. In google app store it says you have to have android version 10.0 and in your Gopro's help it says version 7 or later so nothing works and am getting a little bit annoyed.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Gopro App for hero 8 and android 8.1.0

Hello @coolsurf23821. Sorry to hear that you are not able to use the GoPro App. There is information at https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/GoPro-App-not-compatible-with-my-device/m-p/543... that you may refer to. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @ericr4663. The GoPro App is compatible with any Android phone running on Android 7.0 or higher. Both the support article GoPro App Compatibility and the app information in the Google Play Store state the same thing. 

A screenshot of what you see on your end will be greatly helpful. Also, is this the first time that you are downloading or installing the GoPro App on your phone? 

Highlighted
Hiker

Capturegopro.PNG

I have checked this number of times keep getting the same message this app is incompatible with all your devices its that bad the Gopro app does not show up in google play.

Highlighted
Nomad

Your phone is running Android (which is made by Google).  You're trying to download the app from the Google store (which is owned and operated by Google).  Google store is running a compatibility check on your phone and not allowing you to download the app as a result (this problem is being caused by Google).

I'm running Android 8 and using a Galaxy S7 and the app is readily available for use, so GoPro are fine.  

You will need to contact Google and ask them why they won't allow you to download an app from their store.

Highlighted
Hiker

Sorry but were in my original post did I mention I was using a google phone? As in the post I said I have a Moto e play phone with android version 8.1.0. So the problem still is I can't download the app at all from google store.

Highlighted
Nomad

There seems to be a misunderstanding here.  I didn't say you were using a google phone, I said you were using a phone a phone running android (which is an operating system based on linux but modified and developed by....... Google).

Google store runs a compatibility check on your phones hardware (Google store is maintained and run by ......Google).

So the issue is with Google, they are the one's preventing you from downloading the app.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Still having trouble but found the version I need for my phone its Gopro Version 6.0 as this is for my Andriod version of 8.1.0.

Problem is I downloaded the APK file but it won't install on my phone gets most of the way then says"App not installed".

All the earlier Gopro app versions don't have Hero 8 black showing up and this is very annoying for me trying to get at least this later version to work.

To Irishman am so sorry If my message seemed rude to your reply I am just gutted and annoyed you pay out over £300 for a gopro and you can't even pair it on your phone.

With messing with my phone to try and get a version of the working I lost all my contact numbers which again am not happy with myself.

Highlighted
Nomad

No worries, I can understand your frustration.  When you go into your phones security settings, does it contain an option for allowing the installation of unsigned APK files?  Your phone could be blocking the install due to security settings, you may have to "Allow install from unknown source".