Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Gopro 9 problems

what i think is this new sensor reacts very differently, and possibly not enough time was spent re writting the software and we are helping beta test it. 

For example even the touch screen sensitivity, how did none of the tester see that make a note and have it fixed?

Highlighted
Hiker

Finally it seems I solved the issue!!!!

I tried so many combinations and i realised thanks to your support how the camera works so... here are the new settings:

CAMERA SETTINGS:

Resolution:4k

Fps: 30

Lens: Wide

Hypersmooth: High (No Boost)

PROTUNE SETTINGS:

Bitrate: High

Shutter Speed: Auto

Ev Comp.: -1,0

White Balance: Auto

Min ISO: 100

Max ISO: 3200

Sharpness: Medium

Color: GoPro

Audio Raw: Off

Wind: Auto

Of course i could use the flat profile but i wanted a video "Out of the box" to check how the camera works.

Here is the video from today (No Post or edit, I just put down the clip together with final cut)  as you can see the lightning condition are quite extreme and to me the camera has been working great with a super quick transition between the very high contrast areas.

Please have a look and let me know what do you think!

https://youtu.be/3cfSy2M32aY 

GoPro Hero9 Black CAMERA SETTINGS: Resolution:4k Fps: 30 Lens: Wide Hypersmooth: High (No Boost) PROTUNE SETTINGS: Bitrate: High Shutter Speed: Auto Ev Comp....
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

hi all,

I have been testing the Hero9 for a few weeks now, mainly doing trail running, and I also found it frustrating to get very unconsistent results in the beginning: some videos resulted super smooth, stable and with quite a decent image quality, while others turned out shaky, blurry and almost not usable. 

Thanks to you all sharing your own experiences with the camera settings, I have realised how tiny changes on the settings can impact the final result in quite a dramatic way. These last days I've been performing some tests regarding the stabilization performance while running, and these are my conclusions:

- As some of you mentioned, setting a high ISO limit, Ev Comp -1 and BitrRate High has made the difference and would be almost mandatory if you want Hypersmooth to perform well if light conditions are not perfect. Cannot thank you guys enough!

- 30 or 60 FPS don't make a difference in the shot stabilization, at least at running speed.

- Linear Lens with Horizon Leveling combined with Hypersmooth ON (no boost) is the real deal for INCREDIBLE stable shots (as long as you stick to the settings mentioned in the first point). Weirdly enough, setting Hypersmooth to Boost gives the same (if not sliiiightly worst) result.

- Wide or Superview lenses (therefore no Horizon Leveling available) are different though. Setting Hypersmooth ON is not working well at all, the stabilization is quite poor, but here's the surprise: activating Boost mode does give us here the great results we would expect, super stable shots almost comparable with the ones obtained with Linear HL mode.

- I realise this last claim is pretty much contrary to Romolofevola (great video btw!) conclusions, so my last point would be that probably there are no perfect settings and we have to test and adapt them to the activity we're filming, that is how agressive the movement is, how we hold the camera etc.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for that detail, and time spent testing.

Isn't is reasonable to assume you could use your camera successfully on any setting you choose?

To many replies from the sanctioned GoPro response, "to use differrent settings".

Highlighted
Sightseer

I think the main issue with GoPros is shooting in mid or low light conditions, where their performance goes down dramatically (maybe that is to be expected with such small sensor, but I'm not an expert so bare with me on that).

In my experience, any settings will work really well if light conditions are perfect. Other than that, the camera limitations can be solved up to a certain point by trying any available settings combo to find the best possible results.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I have same issues. Any offial reply from gopro?

1.22 firmware

Attached screenshot of blury video. And its like each time you hit small bump.

Screenshot_3.png
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hello everyone,

I bought my H9 last week, and sold my H7 immediately (which i very well regret).

I understand all your points about adjusting some of the settings can to some degree fix the issues.

But the main problem here is, i didnt buy NEW camera to have WORSE quality video and images and to make sacrifices and modify settings every single time sun goes slightly behind clouds.

My hero7 gave consistent results, no matter of conditions, cloudy, sunny , indoors, outdoors, i could always rely on it having a decent image quality.  Without having to tinker around in the settings.

In my one week of testing, i get usable video or image only in very few cases.

The image is OUT OF FOCUS. There is no way around this, and dont tell me its caused by low light. Low light has close to nothing to do with focusing. Skin tones are blown out, no details, no imperfections, no matter which sharpness settings you use.

NEW camera model should always equal BETTER.  When i zoom in on the files they are on same level as i used to have with H2 and H3 cameras. 

And as if thats not enough of an issue, every other video i make has some static sound in it, some weird clicking noise.

Highlighted
Tourist

Very well said bro