Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro 9 problems

Hello, I got the new Gopro 9 a few days ago and am unfortunately very disappointed with the quality. I noticed the following errors:

-Hypersmoth is on but it's still shaky

-as soon as I drive into a forest, the picture looks blurry and frayed

- the vidos are often out of focus

After a manual update to FW 1.21 it got better but not right. There is still a lot of room for improvement here.

compared to the recordings with the gopro8, the videos are worse. I also tried different settings but the same errors everywhere.

Do you think that the software is still being updated here?
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Gopro 9 problems

hi,

- out of focus - by no means as everything from 20cm to horizon is in focus in gopro optics.

- the blur and out of focus like is because of the low light and low frame per second (+ hypersmooth)

- if you use 25fps video with hypersmooth in low light, force the shutter to 1/50 or to 1/100 to have crisp frame that camera can work it to achieve the right stabilization.

just me,

robert

Highlighted
Tourist

I compared almost identical shots from the GoPro 8 with the 9 and noticed the problems mentioned above. I also got the feeling that hypersmooth isn't working properly I know that the gopro wears off in bad light, but as already mentioned the recordings are significantly worse compared to the gopro8 and I suspect a problem with the firmware.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have exactly the same problems. With my Hero 9, Hypersmooth does not seem to work at all. I did a test on a mountain bike yesterday. The recordings are catastrophic. It shakes and shakes... My Hero 7 takes much better pictures. This can't be?

Highlighted
Nomad

After update to FW 1.21 and reset to factory settings?

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes the same here! 

My my settings were

4k 24fps

hypersmooth boost

superview

iso 100/800

shutter auto

I beleive in dark areas the camera needs more light so i will try again with max iso 1600... 

By the way i updated the software as soon as i received and i tried just once... I will try also 2.7k 60 and 4k 30 fps.

Highlighted
Nomad

I got the best results with 4k50 Linear + horizon alignment, Hyperboost = on, ISO max 1600.

Highlighted
Hiker

I see... I need the superview as i use the gopro with the chesty, linear is too narrow for me... But i'll definitely try more fps as it may fix the issue. Thanks