Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro 9 focus problems

[ New ]

I recently bought a Gopro H9 and am having some focusing issues. I first noticed this when I tried to shoot a timelapse on a growing plant, because it was out of focus. So I did some tests with some writing and they were completely out of focus. I've installed the last software and I have cleaned the lens but the problem remains ... Could it be a defective camera?

p.s. unfortunately i can't upload videos here, so i'm uploading them on yt, at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kltJUJX8Klo&feature=youtu.be

GOPR0053.JPG
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Gopro 9 focus problems

[ New ]

La gopro è una action cam non ha l'autofocus....non è uno smartphone!

da una distanza minima in poi è sempre tutto a fuoco, ma non monta una lente macro!

Andrea

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

I have also focus and stabilization issues. :( :( :(

GH080003.mp4_snapshot_00.05.375.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

da una distanza minima in poi è sempre tutto a fuoco, ma non monta una lente macro!

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

Grazie Andrea! 
Purtroppo essendo nuovo in questo mondo non ne avevo idea.. avevo provato a cercare online, ma con scarsi risultati! 

@andregixxer  ha scritto:

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

Figurati, essendo pensata per lo sport non può permettersi di sbagliare la messa a fuoco quindi deve avere tutto a fuoco da una certa distanza in poi; la tua gopro va benissimo

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

Sure it has a fixed focal lens , but the new 9 is not working as it should . All videos I have done ,everything but me is in focus ! Have they altered the distance you need to hold the camera away from yourself ? 

As every shot taken the background is pin sharp but on me the image is really soft..

Backpacker

[ New ]

As has been previously stated, the camera has a fixed focal lens.  Since you didn't attach any sample images we cannot say for sure if there is a camera issue or if you're simply just holding the camera to close to you.

You also didn't share any camera settings that you are using or what type of environment you are shooting in.

I would suggest that you make sure that you are holding the camera far enough away from you, you are only using the hypersmooth setting needed (so on as opposed to boost), your ISO and shutter speed are set up correctly and that you have sufficient lighting.

Hiker

[ New ]

Come on mate I'm not stupid , I have had gopros for years and always hold at arms length on a mini pod . Settings were 4k 25p iso min 100 max 1600 auto shutter and sunny day . I had hypersmooth with boost on . Also using the media mod . And pro tune standard compression

My 7 was steady all the time when holding the 9 is not and in my opinion does not seem to be focused correctly when holding 2-3 feet away .

I have enclosed a sample vid not the best but the background is sharp and I am not .

You should be able to take the camera out of the box and they should be good to go for anyone without previous knowledge of gopros

Hiker

[ New ]

Dovresti condividere un video meno compresso per capire se ci sono o meno problemi con la tua gopro. Così non si capisce nulla

Backpacker

[ New ]

Settings were 4k

Good, shooting in high resolution is always a good idea, it allows you more room to crop and zoom afterwards for a multiple camera set up type of effect.

25p

Why the low frame rate?  Unless you're shooting in darkness using a 25FPS frame rate is just going to result in a softer image with less sharpness (something that you're complaining about).  You're also not going to get a "Broadcast" style picture shooting at 25FPS as that's more about introduction of soft motion blur through use of ND filters.  So stop shooting in 25FPS.

iso min 100 max 1600 auto shutter and sunny day

Why the huge broad range in ISO settings for a sunny day setting?  Such a wide ISO rate will also lead to noise and soft image issues, parts of your shot will be too bright while others will be too dark and this can also introduce a smoothening effect to your footage.  Narrow the ISO range.

I had hypersmooth with boost on .

WHY????  Were you running?  Where you jumping over things?  Where you driving an offroad vehicle with stiff struts over rocky terrain?  Why on earth would you using boost?  Not only will boost soften your image, it also performs a digital crop in order to steady more of the frame.  Turn off boost.

Also using the media mod .

Doesn't matter.

And pro tune standard compression

What the hell is "pro tune standard compression".  So you mean you had the bit rate set to low instead of high?  Again, you're wondering why you have a soft image when the bit rate is set to low combined with all the other settings you're using....

My 7 was steady all the time when holding the 9 is not and in my opinion does not seem to be focused correctly when holding 2-3 feet away .

Yes but your 7 doesn't have half the settings that the 9 does and you have a badly set up 9.  

I have enclosed a sample vid not the best but the background is sharp and I am not .

Actually you were quite sharp at points, you could even see the individual hairs on your chin.  However with the broad range on the iso settings part of your face was washed out and therefore you couldn't see details on the cheek and forehead.  You're shooting at a low frame rate so parts of the image did blur together.  You had hypersmooth set on "boost" which results in a softer image with a digital zoom applied to it which also looses you definition and your video was very badly compressed due to the low bit rate and your render settings.  

You should be able to take the camera out of the box and they should be good to go for anyone without previous knowledge of gopros

I really hope you don't apply that philosphy to driving....    The camera will give you back what you put into it.  If you take it out of the box and simply press the shutter button, guess what?  As great as the camera is, you're still going to end up with crappy video.  Learn how to use the camera and what settings to use for what shot, and you end up with professional looking results. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Excellent a proper answer , I will try those settings . Re the ISO on this particular day I was in and out of shade were it was really bright then plunged into shade which I suppose is not ideal for any camera.

4k 60fps ISO 100-400-800 pending on how bright the day is. Boost off , Bit rate high .

Yeah the render wasn't the best but thats YT for you .

Thanks I will report back .

Nomad

[ New ]

In this case, the ISO value must have nothing to do with the image sharpness. If the rest is set to AUTO, the material must be sharp even at ISOmax 3200 and also not overexposed in bright sunshine (the camera must automatically turn down to ISOmin = 100 and adjust the shutter speed = AUTO)!
At the moment the Hero 9 still has a problem with Hypersmooth High or Boost! With Hypersmooth off and post-stabilization with ReelSteady or Hyperboost ="on" in the Camera, everything works perfectly.

By the way, in the example video everything is always razor-sharp! If you turn your head, you can even see your stubble! What else do you want ?!

Hiker

[ New ]
Ma tutta questa esperienza che millantavi con GoPro, come mai non ti hanno consentito di conoscere le impostazioni più adeguate ?
Nomad

[ New ]

I have the best experiences with 4K50FPS in 4: 3 ISO min100, max 3200, otherwise everything is AUTO and Hypersmooth OFF (post-stabilization with ReelSteady with lock Horizon).

Hiker

[ New ]

Tried it at 4k 50fps (cant get 60 in my region?) and this seems better if I manage the iso according to conditions . The big problem now is my mac wont play back any 4K vids in the HEVC format . And when I do change them back to H264 they render down ok but playback is all out of sync.

2.7K plays back fine but those 4K ones are all choppy and jumpy.

So 2.7K is the way for me I think.

Backpacker

[ New ]

In this case, the ISO value must have nothing to do with the image sharpness.

Whereas ISO doesn't affect image sharpness whatsoever (in fact nothing does with a fixed focus lens) the appearance of image softness can be affected.

If the rest is set to AUTO, the material must be sharp even at ISOmax 3200 and also not overexposed in bright sunshine (the camera must automatically turn down to ISOmin = 100 and adjust the shutter speed = AUTO)!

Not entirely accurate.  The camera looks at the image as a whole unless it's specifically set to adjust exposure based on part of the image.  So therefore with a dark blue sky, dark green grass etc taking up the majority of the image, the camera will base it's automatic exposure settings on those values.  In this case there was a very small section (cheek, forehead) that was reflecting a lot of light and therefore over exposed.  Over exposure will lead to loss of definition (not loss of focus, but loss detail due to washing out part of the image).  The camera will not adjust the ISO based on such a small area.  In fact, even manually settings the ISO isn't the best solution as this will allow better detail in the skin tone levels but then make the background and shadow darker.  The best thing would have been to get a center weighted gradient filter and manually set the ISO levels for a narrower range, also to film in the flat color profile and grade in post.  This will allow the skin tones to appear darker (and better defined) while allowing for a brighter background.  In this case the user reported that the background was defined but the user appeared out of focus (which was a poor description as you accurately pointed out his stubble was very well defined, however this was becuase his stubble was darker and therefore not washed out like his cheeks and forehead).

By the way, in the example video everything is always razor-sharp!

Not true, the video was also poorly compressed which led to a lot of macro blocking and dragged pixels.  Not exactly razor sharp.

If you turn your head, you can even see your stubble! What else do you want ?!

The winning lotto numbers would go down well............ oh wait, you meant him, not me........

Backpacker

[ New ]

You should be able to get analytics from your YouTube channel that describes your viewers.  Unless they are watching on a 65" TV or you're doing a ton of cropping and zooming, I really wouldn't bother with 4K.  4K is great if you're outputting to a huge screen or wanting to film vast vista's and get great detail.  However most of your vids are close up and talking and you really don't need that type of detail for those video's.

Not only will shooting in 2.7K speed up editing, but it puts less strain on your system for playback also, so yeah, stick with 2.7K.

If you post your system specs here, we may also be able to recommend fixes or improvements should you want to work in 4K.

Hiker

[ New ]

Having done lots of testing today 2.7K 50fps and high bitrate lookslike the best choice and I can edit/view with no problems on my 2015 macbook pro easily . 2.7k seems to run on H.264 codec and the 4k runs on HEVC which my little computer struggles with .

I did manage to export a 4k file using Quicktime player which reduced the file size and changed it to H.264, but meant i was able to edit and render via imovie as a 4k movie.

Dont fancy doing that for each 4k file lol so will just stick to 2.7 K which will suffice for my needs and chaannel.

The future is brighter ....

Thanks for the help