Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro 9 doesn't react in underwatersuit at 9m depth (diving)

[ New ]

Yesterday I went on a dive of only 30 minutes. Watertemp was ~3 degrees Celsius. Gopro was put in the original protective housing. Beginning of the dive I was able to operate the power button, and the shutter button as well. 

After around 15 minutes I wasn't able to use either one of the buttons, thus not being able to make any shots. When I was on the surface again I retried using the buttons in the protective housing (didn't open it yet). Still not working. I removed the protective housing, tried again. Still not responding. I removed the battery and reinstated that one, and all of a sudden the gopro reacted again. 

First I thought it would've been pressure issues, but the gopro didn't work without the suit as well. So it must be another issue. I was wondering what the problem could've been during the dive, anyone got an idea?

GoPro

Re: Gopro 9 doesn't react in underwatersuit at 9m depth (diving)

[ New ]

Hello, @robbierzz. Was the camera showing any error while the shutter/mode buttons were not working? Was the camera stuck on a specific screen? How great was the difference in temperatures between the water and the environment where the camera was working? 

If you haven't yet, perform a manual firmware update to clear any possible issue with the current installation. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya , 

The air temperature that day was ~ 14 degrees Celsius, water temperature at surface was 6, at the bottom around 3. Not a greate temperature difference in my opinion. The camera just didn't respond underwater; it was powered off, and didn't power on again (no red light indicators, or error on the screen). 

For now I have manually updated the camera. Hopefully it'll work again next time :). 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the reply, @robbierzz. Let us know how it goes. Feel free to post back.