Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Gopro 8 extreme heat problem! Not Charging

I have the new go pro 8 for about a week now And I've run into a few problems, I have already been in contact with go pro team support and I'm waiting on a response. My 1st problem is that it will not charge by itself. I have to use a dual battery charger that I bought along with this so everything is new for the go pro 8. My next problem is that the go pro 8 is heating up to an extremely hot temp. So much so that it can't be held for very long. The hottest part is the metal mount feet. I let it cool down to the touch to remove the battery. I had the battery drain within about 45-50mins for recording at 4k 30fps. The battery became very difficult to remove. Once it was finally out the other battery slid right in. Everything i have is brand new and for the Hero 8. I have already reset and manually updated the software 4 times. No change. Like i said im waiting for a response from Gopro support. Ihad talked to them last on Friday Oct 18, 2019. Today is Oct 22,2019. Anyone else having this problem? Fyi this is my second post, first was similar but more worried about not charging than heat. I hadn't really used it at that point.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Gopro 8 extreme heat problem! Not Charging

Mines is also very hot and like you the metal at the bottom is acting like a heat sink i had to buy the rubber housing so i could hold it.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Place your case number here so gopro mod can tag the team player .  call then wait for a re;y, gets things taken care of then a week waiting.

Your concern for heat is not an isue that is the Norm of gopro. 

the battery not charing is an issue and that you and gopro must work out, you got a external charger. people go that route then in  the camera charging,  the port is to work, it's not  again call gopro.

Highlighted
Hiker

My Hero 8 is also not charging, the red light will not go off, I'm using the same wall charger I use with my hero7, the hero 8 is now been on charge 5 hours plugged into the mains wall socket

Highlighted
Adventurer

What I learned on Battery charging:

1 80%  to 99%  on a 2A  charger wil   keep the led forced lit.

2 79 and lower  on a 2A charger will work perfectly.

3 on a higher rated charger the  forst no 1 will charge perfectly

that was what I learned.  GoPro did not note that he  battery will need a better rated charger but they noted a usb type C quick charger is  an option

good luck.  for the Hear the hotest part is the top of the camera .

Highlighted
Tourist

I have got same problem ...heating up!

Highlighted
GoPro

Sorry to know that @diadioo

Can you please try to update your camera manually: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

After manual firmware update, make sure to turn off Wi-Fi and Voice command before you turn off your camera. 

Another reason would be SD card: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Make sure that you're using a recommended SD card brand and model.

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Done it ...hope it helps ( I have SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB)
Thank You for your help