Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Gopro 8 black only reords 1 hour 40 minutes

[ New ]

I have a sandisk 128 gb sd it says will record 5 hours but during the filiming it records on screen 4 hours 30 minutes and i stop it but when its done it only showed it recorded 1 hour 40 minutes , I do have new update and even if i let it record till chip is full it says same thing i have even tried diffrent sd card , what is wrong because my gopro 9 does not do this even if i reformat the chips and use them in gopro 9 its only the gopro 8 black doing this

GoPro

Re: Gopro 8 black only reords 1 hour 40 minutes

[ New ]

Hello, @graylight4275. By doing an extended recording, is your HERO8 Black connected to an external power source? If so, is the battery kept in the camera for the whole duration of the recording? Could the camera have powered off while recording due to an increase in temperature? See Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures for reference. These details will help us isolate the issue. We hope to hear back from you. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have it conected to power pack and when i look at the time on camera it says it recorded 4hours 30 min so I stop it but when I check the video on sd in the gopro or even the pc buy usb it had only 1 hour 40 minutes  but it never went off it was blinking the whole time recording 

Tourist

[ New ]
also I have the settings at 1080 60 but it shows recording the whole time but its not having full 4hours 30 minutes in the save
Tourist

[ New ]

Ok update please note i have 2 gopro 8 blacks and i am doing same tes on each and same results on both

I recoreded this time 2 hours 35 minutes then I stoped both and they both froze so after waiting they never unfroze so i removed the power bank and the batteries then restarted both when I checked the video both have only 1 hour and 40minutes same on both like last time , This is strange because both have 128 sandisk sd and one is extreme and the other is extreme pro both say they recorded 2 hours 35 min but it only saves 1hour 40 minutes both have the newest updates and both show they are recording when i stop them , what else can be wrong ? the bot set to record at 1080 60   

Tourist

[ New ]

OK UPDATE 3

PLEASE SEE ALL PAST NOTES I MADE

NEW TEST ON BOTH GOPRO8

I changed the sd chip to 2 new 64gb both let it record untill exactly 2 hours then I stoped it It came back to video file but froze again (both cams) it will never unfreeze untill i removed the battery then put back in and powered it on , it booted up fine and i went to the video files and seen the video it again recorded only to 1 hour 40 minutes (both cams) even it said 2 hours when i stoped recording , Man i have a heace i have spent over $700 on 2 cams for my bike team match coming up and All I have is trouble , please help because my 3rd cam is a gopro9 and even my gopro 3plus not acting this up iI am so lost wnaht to do fix this  ewwwww any ideals ?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ramey151

Sorry for any trouble caused.

We see that a case has been opened with our Support Team.

Please continue working with them regarding your case.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just had the same issue during a live stream where at the 1 hr 40 min mark it just locked up.  I remove the internal battery and run a external battery pack due to heat issues.  First live stream of a sporting event for the season and also running a Sandisk 128 gb exteme plus card in it.  Never had this issue previously