Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro 8 Black footake shaky on boost hypersmooth

Hello, today I bought the new GoPro 8 Black, updated it through the app when I connected the camera to the phone for the first time. I went for a bike ride to test the camera compared to my older GoPro 5 Black. Cards were Sandisk Extreme Pro. I tried even to switch cards to prevent card failure. Settings were almost the same on both. Resolution set to 1080p 60fps. On 5 stabilization turned on, on 8 hypersmooth turned on boost. My 5 have no issues, the video is okay. On 8 the video is super shaky and you can clearly see there is a problem, probably with software. See the RAW clip on Youtube from GoPro 8 Black on the link bellow. Do you have any suggestion what to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SUEpwL92Q

raw clip, GoPro 8 Black, hypersmooth turned on Boost, 1080p 60fps, Sandisk Extreme PRO microSD, mounted to gopro original chest harness. My gopro 5 black wit...
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Gopro 8 Black footake shaky on boost hypersmooth

I will offer a guess. Since the video is quite blurred I think the camera is trying to use low shutter speed. The weather is sunny so I can see no other reason for this but low setting of max ISO. Basically if the max ISO is low the camera may be forcing lowest shutter speed. Up to now it is a guess. The fact is that low shutter speed causing less sharp images will dramatically worsen stabilization because the indexing and repositioning images gets difficult. So try again: reset the settings of the mode you are using or make sure the shutter is on auto, max ISO on 1600 all other settings on defaults (I think no other setting would cause the problem). Set the lens on WIDE and stabilization on HIGH or BOOST, note that the SuperView does not have HIGH and BOOST. Let us know, I MTB and I am sure you can solve the problem.
Highlighted
Nomad

Watched it again. Why is the video stumbling (not smooth)? I had resolution on 1080. Now I turned it down to 360p and sure it is a bit pixelated but the stabilization is good, I would say very good and video is smooth (watch the corners of video). Do not want to specu;ate any further, what computer are you using? What do you think you would do if you assume the stabilization is working? Let us know
Highlighted
Tourist

Hello. Thank you for such a fast reply. All the settings were set on auto on both cameras. Hypersmooth was set on BOOST. I tested the footage on 2019 Macbook PRO 16”, 2017 Macbook PRO 13.4”, Lenovo X1 Carbon gen. 4 and my home Windows 10 workstation with AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and GTX 1080ti. I am professional photographer, so Im familiar how shutter speed/iso works.

The blur you are referring to is probably caused by Youtube conversion. The main problem here are those small vibrations. Im not now at my desk, but I found out on one post that guy had a problem with new gopro after an update through the mobile app and solve it by updating the camera again through SD card. If this would work its still weird, cause the post was old and this was not resolved till today
Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

hi,

I see the small vibration when you are in the woods, after the landings. A lot of moving when you land though.

when you reach the sunny part of the decent you are good, no more small vibrations after the landings (rougher than at the beginning).

@bovk says something related to lower light.... and is related.

even with an ISO max of 100 (which is not set being on auto), I do not believe the shutter will go higher than 1/150 in that particular conditions.

my guess is ISO around 400 and shutter 1/400.

I would say in bright light the camera has more details to "anchor" the image than in shadows.

because of the light and because of the landscape.

I mean in the woods you have the threes passing by, the path is greyish, by no mean high contrast frames that allow stabilisation algorithm can anchor to.

when you reach the sunny path, you have some kind of "horizon" in some frames, on other you have the bright trail in front and the bushes aside, giving some strong contrast lines.

So has more chance to make a smoother stabilisation.

stabilisation in lower light was always a challenge for Gopro.

on the other hand, always always make a manual software upgrade

and check the SD card compatibility!... you said you switch the SD cards. what is good for h5 it is not enough for h8...

thank you,

robert

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello Robert,

I will start with the cards. Sandisk Extreme PRO, which I mentioned I use, is recommended to use with GoPro 8 Black.

The vibrations are visible everywhere, not just in the woods. The whole clip has about 57 minutes contaitinig garage, parking lot, driving with car, going uphill on a road on the sun and even through the forest.

ISO is set MAX to 1600, shutter to auto. Your argument about dark places being a quest for GoPro is invalid, because I had a GP5 on the other run the same day with same setting set up and the footage is absolutely perfect. I do not believe GoPro 8 can not handle what GoPro 5 can.

I will try to upgrade the soft manually later today after work.

Highlighted
Adventurer

well  I am not under trees or in/out of shades and sun, that says shutter speed. needs adjusting.

Highlighted
Nomad

Doufam ze to vyresite. Ja uz toho moc vic nevim