Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro 7 Black won't formatSD disk

GoPro 7 Black won't format Sandisk Extreme Pro card 128MB, just get card error. I can form it to exFat but then when I put the card in to the Gopro it comes up with"Card Error". I thought it may be the card even though the above card was on the approved list, so I had another look on the list and bought a Samsung Evo 128MB and get exactly the same apart from when I have formatted the card it comes up green for a split second then goes to a red card with a cross through and the dreaded card error coming up. This is costing me a lot of money and time, what is the problem? and what can I do to fix it? I am now getting very annoyed with it and wishing I had never got the thing. By the way it does work with a Sandisk Extreme 64GB but I need more recording time.

Thanks in anticipation

David

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Gopro 7 Black won't formatSD disk

Try a full format in your COmputer 128gbwill take an hou. try not to do a quick till after the full format. then replacee back in and try.

Highlighted
Tourist

Unfortunately the Apple OS doesn't have what you call a full format, it only has one choice of format (plus of course file system) plus security, which allows one to overwrite the files. I have tried the latter and the card formats okay (as it does with  a normal format) but once I put it in the Pro Go it tries to re format and then comes up with SD Card error. I have also found and tried a programme for Mac (also available for Windows) SD Memory Card Formatter by the SD Association, this I also have tried but with exactly the same results. One thing I forgot to mnention in my original post was that the ~~Gopro was up to date with V1.08. Thank you fishycomics for your reply.

Anybody else any ideas?

David

Highlighted
Adventurer

Understood so mac  does not support sd card formats.   Go to Disk Utlility there and Erase it. there is a  securtiy option that offers  3 options  Zero out data, 7- pass erase and 35- pass erase. I am not a mac user but what my Mac tells me. maybe that is the Full format?

Highlighted
GoPro

@yorkstyke, if in-camera format doesn't work for some reason, the issue can be related to either the SD card currently in use or the camera itself. We always suggest using microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have as listed in this article. Just to verify, are you using Sandisk Extreme Pro (UHS 3 / V30) A2 128GB?

As for your Samsung Evo 128GB microSD card, do you have EVO Select / Plus? Or other model?

Additionally, we recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through official resellers. There were some users in this thread who reported having problem with formatting their SD cards due to authenticity issues. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply. The Mac does support SD card formats and will format in Fat32 and will read and write to them, the problem appears to be once I put them in the Gopro where it attempts to format them again and results in SD card error. On the Mac you have a choice to overwrite by a sliding scale, the most extreme appaers to be 7 pass, which for the next few hours I am trying and will let you know what happens.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, thanks for your reply, I can confirm that I am using a Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB card and a Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro A2 . The same thing happens to both cards, I can format them both as Fat32 and I can read and write to both on my computer, but when I put either in my Gopro it reformats them and then comes up with "SD Card Error" I am at present trying a 7 pass overwrite on the Samsung card and formatting it Fat32 on my Mac computer. Just to reiterate, the 64GB card I have works perfectly in the Gopro.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have just spent hours reformatting my Samsung card with a 7 pass reformat. Put it in to the Gopro and it immediately comes up with SD Card error, it works absolutely fine in my computer and has passed all the checks I can do on it. I will now try a format while the card is in the Gopro, but don't hold out much hope.