Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Gopro 7 Black: 4k video file not working on my phone.

Hello everybody!
I tried to download this videos from the gopro app to my gallery on galaxy 9 plus phone and after it done, i tried to open the file and only the sound worked. I got a message about the video codec not supported.

What can I do in order to fix the problem?
thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Gopro 7 Black: 4k video file not working on my phone.

hi all,

I think the question has a simple response.... 4K@25 4:3 cannot be played on mobile.

it is not a real codec issue, it is the 4:3 aspect ratio.

my experience:

iPhone X, IOS12.1

4K@25fps 4:3 cannot be downloaded by Gopro app.

can play the LRV, but not download the video.

"Can't download your HEVC Codec"

"Your iPhone doesn't suppot the settings used for some of your videos.

Visit gopro.com/hevc to leran more" --- and I did, see below

4K@any.fps 16:9 works like a charm.

( also I find out that 2.7K videos 4:3 cannot be cast (using ChromCast) to TV, is the cast app limitation.

TV beeing 16:9 somehow make sence).

from gopro.com/hevc ---- see RED

What are the limitations with HEVC on mobile?

Limitation iOS  Android

Preview While Recording via the GoPro App 
Even if your mobile device supports HEVC, you will not be able to preview your footage while recording in the GoPro app. You can preview the scene beforehand, but as soon as you start recording, the live view becomes unavailable.
All Devices
Media Playback on Camera via the GoPro App
Even if your mobile device supports HEVC, you will not be able to play back HEVC footage on your SD card via the GoPro app. You will need to copy that media to your mobile device to view it.
All Devices
4K (4:3) Video Play Back
No version of Android or iOS supports 4K 4:3 playback. In Android, the GoPro app will copy 4K 4:3 to your mobile device, but you won’t be able to playback those files. In iOS, QuikStories will convert 4K 4:3 to a lower resolution for playback. Otherwise, the GoPro app will prevent you from manually copying 4K 4:3 to your mobile device.
All Devices
Media Playback on Unsupported Operating Systems 
If your device isn’t running Android 5.0 / iOS 11 or newer, you will not be able to play back HEVC files. For manual offloads through the GoPro app or Quik Key, we block the transfer and display an error message.
Applicable to devices running iOS 10.3.3 and earlierApplicable to devices running Android 4.4 (KitKat) and earlier
Media Playback with Supported Operating Systems, on Older Devices 
While Android 5.0 and iOS 11 natively support HEVC, your phone must be using a newer processor to playback those files smoothly. The GoPro app will still copy HEVC files to these mobile devices, but beware that those files may struggle to play back. In general, mobile devices manufactured before 2016 will not handle HEVC files very well. Please see a partial list of supported devices above.
Applicable to devices manufactured before 2016
QuikStories converts HEVC to lower bitrate 
On iOS 11, the QuikStories feature will copy HEVC files from your camera and convert them to a lower bitrate before sending footage to the Quik app.
Applicable to devices running iOS 11 onlyN/A

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @raviv01a

What was the frame rate of this video?

Are there other videos taken with the same settings?

Android devices do not have a strict set of video formats that are playable or not. The majority of current Android devices are capable of playing back most videos, even 4K. However, every Android phone is different, so you may see some stuttering or choppy playback on higher resolutions and frame rates.

For reference: Supported Resolutions for Copy and Share in the GoPro App

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

hello friend! if i understood right, the frame rate was 4000×3000, 4k wide. same about the other 14 videos. on the application everything is perfect. just when i tried (twice) to download it to my phone, the result was the same.

By the way, I tried now to take a new video with the same options and all good- both on the gallery. so how its possible?
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @raviv01a,

It might be on the original file. 

May I know what SD card brand and model are you using? 

Please let us know.

Thanks,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB
Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @raviv01a,

I think that was just a glitch. 

Please let us know if issue will reoccur. 

We'll check on that. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Explorer

4000×3000, 4k wide is your resolution. Frame rate is how many frames (pictures in the video) per second the camera was capturing at. Many more recent flagship phones can handle 4K at 30 frames per second, but many will struggle or be unable to play files recorded at 60 frames per second.

24fps and 30fps are generally ok on high end, newer phones.

48, 50, 60 + fps are generally not supported.
Highlighted
Backpacker

hi all,

I think the question has a simple response.... 4K@25 4:3 cannot be played on mobile.

it is not a real codec issue, it is the 4:3 aspect ratio.

my experience:

iPhone X, IOS12.1

4K@25fps 4:3 cannot be downloaded by Gopro app.

can play the LRV, but not download the video.

"Can't download your HEVC Codec"

"Your iPhone doesn't suppot the settings used for some of your videos.

Visit gopro.com/hevc to leran more" --- and I did, see below

4K@any.fps 16:9 works like a charm.

( also I find out that 2.7K videos 4:3 cannot be cast (using ChromCast) to TV, is the cast app limitation.

TV beeing 16:9 somehow make sence).

from gopro.com/hevc ---- see RED

What are the limitations with HEVC on mobile?

Limitation iOS  Android

Preview While Recording via the GoPro App 
Even if your mobile device supports HEVC, you will not be able to preview your footage while recording in the GoPro app. You can preview the scene beforehand, but as soon as you start recording, the live view becomes unavailable.
All Devices
Media Playback on Camera via the GoPro App
Even if your mobile device supports HEVC, you will not be able to play back HEVC footage on your SD card via the GoPro app. You will need to copy that media to your mobile device to view it.
All Devices
4K (4:3) Video Play Back
No version of Android or iOS supports 4K 4:3 playback. In Android, the GoPro app will copy 4K 4:3 to your mobile device, but you won’t be able to playback those files. In iOS, QuikStories will convert 4K 4:3 to a lower resolution for playback. Otherwise, the GoPro app will prevent you from manually copying 4K 4:3 to your mobile device.
All Devices
Media Playback on Unsupported Operating Systems 
If your device isn’t running Android 5.0 / iOS 11 or newer, you will not be able to play back HEVC files. For manual offloads through the GoPro app or Quik Key, we block the transfer and display an error message.
Applicable to devices running iOS 10.3.3 and earlierApplicable to devices running Android 4.4 (KitKat) and earlier
Media Playback with Supported Operating Systems, on Older Devices 
While Android 5.0 and iOS 11 natively support HEVC, your phone must be using a newer processor to playback those files smoothly. The GoPro app will still copy HEVC files to these mobile devices, but beware that those files may struggle to play back. In general, mobile devices manufactured before 2016 will not handle HEVC files very well. Please see a partial list of supported devices above.
Applicable to devices manufactured before 2016
QuikStories converts HEVC to lower bitrate 
On iOS 11, the QuikStories feature will copy HEVC files from your camera and convert them to a lower bitrate before sending footage to the Quik app.
Applicable to devices running iOS 11 onlyN/A