Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Gopro 5 black firmware v01.55 & 3rd party batteries

Your missing the point. But I'm not arguing about as I could care less. I don't use my GoPro enough for it to matter. I have a Polar Pro H2O power grip that will charge my Hero 5 many times and support charging a secondary device simultaneously. Still cheaper than 2 batteries and charger. Got it for 45 bucks on black friday. The issue was the absence of even the slightest acknowledgement to the proprietary chip. And that it's okay to use them with every GoPro but the Hero 5 black. It should have been publicly known from the get go. Have a great day.
Anonymous

Spoken like someone from GoPro's public affairs office.  Nearly every product in the free world uses after market parts/accessories, I use them on my truck, motorcycle, bicycle, guns, refrigerator, washing machine, TV, etc..., why should GoPro be any different?  You can keep blowing the party line all you want, consumers who don't want to be screwed over by the company will move on to other products instead of sticking with a company willing to throw away dollars in order to save a few dimes.

The free market has an answer to GoPro's treatment of their customers, it's called bankruptcy.

Sightseer

Actually, yes they do still show the latest firmware.

https://gopro.com/update/hero5

Right now, the difference in price between GoPro batteries and Wasabi is about 50 cents.  Hardly a money saver, unless you bought a dozen or so.  I don't use 3rd party batteries in my cameras, GoPro or otherwise.  I've always had issues with them in the past.

Anonymous

How do you figure 50 cents, you can get 4 Wasabi batteries for $26.99. One GoPro battery is $19, of course I do suck at math.
Either way it should be the consumers choice what battery they put in their camera. I have 2 Hero 4 Silvers and the Hero 5 black. I Would not have bought it had I known they were going to restrict it, no problems to date in the above mentioned 4s with multiple different brands of batteries. They don't fix this with an update then I will buy nothing more from them.
Sightseer

At one point, Amazon was selling 2 Wasabi batteries and charger for $50.  Now it seems Wasabi has fixed the issue and updated it's batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Firmware/dp/B01MR0LLBW/ref=sr_1_32?s=photo&srs=2...

Of course, you'll have to buy the new ones.

Hiker

As stated, Amazon dide before have a Wasabi 2 pack without charger for $38.50 about the same price as GoPro batteries. 

Nice prices on the new stuf, and will work on all future firmware. I wonder if they have been in talks with GoPro and Wasbai have aproved batteries with thermal protection / heating ??? Would be nice with a offical statment from GoPro on this before buying. 

Yes, as a consumer, you decide, just as gopro as a mfg want to protect their goods and reduce warrenty problemes with flaky voltage batteries with no thermal protection etc. Again, not saying that there has been any problem Wasabi, I even used them om my 3+ but pretty hard to make a firmware that is brand specific. 

As for for the firware cutting out AM batteries without warning. On the one side a **bleep** move, on the other hand one would have a bunch people not upgrading their firmware, complaining about other problems and never buying gopro again... Dammed if they do, dammed if they dont. I do think  that Gopro should have clearly stated at the launch of the hero 5 that AM batteries would not work, not after the marked was flooded with AM batteries. Would have been a fairer move.

Anonymous

I'm still not sure I should upgrade to 1.55 and buy GoPro batteries or should stay with 1.50 and waste my time & moment.

When my GoPro was on 1.50occasionally it didn't save timelapse videos which is very annoying then I upgraded to 1.55 and the symptom disappeared. However I was not able to use 3rd party batteries so I downgraded to 1.50 then the timelapse ghost is back now. 

I totally agree that GoPro can block 3rd party batteries but when they do that they should have notified customers. Also this rant has been over a month and there's been no official announcement from them still. No update for Karma either.

Explorer

They made an announcement regarding Karma today.

This is a community of GoPro product users. If you want an official statement from GoPro you should contact them directly. The link is on the front page of Support. It reads, "Contact Sales and Support". That being said, I'm pretty sure the official statement is the same as Nick Woodman said prior to the release of the Hero5 Black and that is, GoPro cameras will not work with third party batteries.