Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Gopro 5 black firmware v01.55 & 3rd party batteries

[ Edited ]

Trying to update the firmware with while using a Smatree battery, and the camera just stopped working. GoPro hasn't been able to help me so far. And probably I am in a bad situation since I got my camera on ebay.

A brand new camera, and now, useless.

Does anyone have an idea of how to reset the camera or bring it back to the orginal firmware? 

Any help will be greatly appreciate it. If something works, I even offer an special gift from my home country.

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous

Same happened to me and I was able to boot the camera using the OEM (GoPro-branded) battery.
Anonymous

Bought the hero 5 black for xmas. This is my first GoPro ever and now my last after I used it once (yesterday) with the GoPro battery and 2 third party batteries. Get home last night and there is a firmware update on my capture app. Down load it it with my non GoPro battery in it. Long story short, had to manually download new version just to get the dang camera to turn on. Now, I realize why...because GoPro screwed me over on the extra batteries I bought. This is a crap way to do business. You lost me as a customer, GoPro. It's the principle! you are an overpriced crap company!
Anonymous

You have to manually download the firmware update on the GoPro site to your SD card. Then put that SD card in your GoPro and it will update. You must go buy an OEM GoPro battery if you don't have one. They screwed us and now third party battles don't work. Same exact thing happened to me. I'm pissed!!!
Explorer

Be mad at the companies that lie about their knock off batteries being compatible with Hero5 cameras. Third party batteries not working in Hero5 cameras was known and announced by Nick Woodman (GoPro) prior to the camera being released. Due to customer service getting multiple issues reported with third party batteries, and damage caused by them voiding warranty, it was decided that they would no longer be supported. If you don't believe this, fine. The OEM batteries are only $19.99. Perhaps the company does want to make money on upsells. It's a company. The camera is $100 less than the Hero4 when it came out. Why do you want to risk your investment on cheap alternative batteries?

Again, it's the Chinese third party battery companies that are ripping you off. They know that there batteries do not, or will not, work. This is a known feature of the camera. They know it.
Anonymous

Aftermarket batteries worked fine with GoPro 5 Black until firmware upgrade 1.55, which came out on November 26th and did not mention that it would be disabling all aftermarket batteries once installed.  For customers who spent hundreds of dollars on a camera and then were not able to use it because of an "upgrade" without prior notice is absolutely wrong.  Are there companies out there with inferior products trying to make a quick buck, yes, but to that I say "may the customer beware".  GoPro as a company is absolutely in the right in denying warranty items caused by aftermarket items, but it is absolutely in the wrong from trying to prevent owners of their products from using them, that's called free-market capitalism.  How would you feel if you bought a new Chevy but couldn't use it because there was only Ford gasoline avaiable in your area?  Sounds stupid, doesn't it?  Same thing here.  How many companies have screwed us all over with proprietary batteries or chargers that will only work with their product?  How long will we as consumers continue to take it without a fight?

Anonymous

The issue is the update without knowledge that it will essentially brick a device during update. Let's just say it is about warranty issues which I'm 90% certain it's not. It's a financial decision due to the impending karma recall that was known, necessity to kill the TV and entertainment division, and the poor quarter in order to not let the stock implode. If it was a warranty issue then why not kill 3rd party battery support to all cameras why just the hero 5 black? Several batteries have found a work around already. I am first time owner and prolly last time owner. I'll buy go pro branded stuff if it's on clearance rack at walmart but I'm not buying a single thing of their brand unless it's cheaper than any alternative due to the behavior with the update. Think of professional who use their gopro as means to make money financially or even are on trip of a lifetime using it to make memories. All of sudden that awesome camera is basically bricked and the use of it is severely handicapped. GoPro is just killing free advertisement and inserting bad advertisement which travels ten fold of the speed of good news. Just search GoPro on Google. Chances are 80 percent is pure bad news in last 4 months. I have Canon T6i on its way that I got for 500 bucks with two lenses. I'll use my 2 Hero 5 Blacks until something better catches my eye tied up in my investment for now.
Highlighted
Explorer

There is a chip that is used to recognize the battery, a feature in Hero5 cameras but not available in older Hero cameras. This is why it's only on Hero5. The update wasn't when the proprietary feature was implemented. It was there from the start. The fact that third party companies had figured out a work around for previous firmware doesn't mean they didn't know GoPro would update a fix making their batteries unworkable. You may disagree with GoPro for creating proprietary batteries, but it is still these third party battery companies that are deceiving you. I see that many are now putting warnings that older batteries will not work with the current firmware, and those with the workaround will only work with this firmware. It's your choice if you want to put cheap knockoffs into your camera. Good luck with that.