Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Gopro 5 black firmware v01.55 & 3rd party batteries

WTF?  Since when does any company "certify" batteries that will work with their product?  Would you pay for a flashlight that would only work with Duracells?  No. 

If this mythical "certification" was realistic how in the world did aftermarket batteries work prior to the firmware downgrade? 

GoPro makes a good product that hundreds of thousands, if not millions, have purchased.  Many of those people have purchased aftermarket accessories to work with them, this is something that happens with EVERY popular product in the world, because often times the original manufacturer charges far more than is reasonable for a necessary but inexpensive to manufacture item.  GoPro screwed its customers by restricting their customers from using absolutely compatible items for no reason other than short-sighted greed.

It will not take long for someone to discover exactly what GoPro did to prevent 3rd party batteries from working and a work-around will be created, that's called technological progress.  That means third party companies will still be selling batteries that work, but GoPro has pissed off many customers to the point that when they need a new camera they will look to someone else who will not screw them over.

I did buy a Hero 5, but if anyone asks me I would advise them to look at other options before purchasing themselves mainly because of their treatment of their customer base.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Are you out of your minds? I am at a trip to Indonesia right now and we rarely have access to electricity and internet in our region. When my Hero video files kept corrupting (this turned out to be the SD Card), I figured trying an update would solve this. After getting this to work with a **bleep**ty connection and a VPN, I now have a single battery out of the five that used to work perfectly fine for months.

I can no longer rely on my GoPro as primary camera for my trips. Really disappointed.
Highlighted
Anonymous

+1.  I was vacationing in Costa Rica when GoPro published the update.  I bought the Hero 5 specifically for the trip along with three Smartree batteries and a charger from Amazon.  Fortunately for me I only lost a day and was able to roll back.

Again, for them to sneak this in an update without notification in the release notes was very poor form.

Highlighted
Anonymous

What a joke this company is.  When can we expect the update to us the 3rd party batteries again?  Think of HP how had to backtrack after there firmware update. Lost lots of money now on 3rd party batteries.  Thanks GoPro :(

Highlighted
Anonymous

Check this post to see how you can go back to v1.50 and use 3rd party batteries

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Gopro-5-black-firmware-v01-55-amp-3rd-party-batteries/m-p/238...

Highlighted
Anonymous

I agree that this was an underhanded and unprofessional move by GoPro. So they have two options. Let us roll the update back to 1.5 or create 1.6 and unlock the batteries. Or we have the option of sending their cameras back and buying two Yi 4ks in their place.
I have been researching the use of POV cameras inside of manufacturing machines to help with trouble shooting for my company worldwide - a 1st tier automotive supplier. I tested the Yi 4k vs the Hero 5 black and was just before making the recommendation to upper management that GoPro was the way forward. The GoPro was slightly better in quality of video at high frame rates but not twice as good. This ordeal has me rethinking my stance. Not that my multi-million dollar company can't afford $20 more per battery but because this is not a professional way to treat customers.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hello everyone!

I just thought sharing this with you all would be good.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/batteries-chargers-gopro-hero5-black

Scroll down to the comments and you'll see a guy called Eugene saying something about that a third party company has found a solution for the 1.55 update.

- Daniel

Highlighted
Anonymous

I just got the GoPro Hero 5 with 1.55 update and I have some 3rd party batteries from Amazon that is working well. I have not had any issues. Sabrent 2 Pack Battery Set with Dual Battery Charger for 20 bucks. Hope it helps someone