Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Gopro 5 black firmware v01.55 & 3rd party batteries

[ Edited ]

Guys, you can downgrade to V1.50 and it will accept aftermarket batteries. I just did it myself. No need to downgrade to 1.20 Extract into your SDCARD into a new folder "update" and power up the camera!

Highlighted
Anonymous

I too became a victim of the firmware upgrade disabling third party batteries - while vacationing in Costa Rica!

Downgrading fixed this problem but to make time for this instead of exploring the countryside is ridiculous.    I can't buy OEM batteries here... GoPro should have at least provided a warning!

Highlighted
Hiker

It's actually makes me laugh that amid strong competition and a karma recall that GoPro would do this. I can't do anything but laugh because it seems nearly every week there is some new bad news relating to something GoPro related!

Still can't believe this!
Highlighted
Anonymous

where do we get v1.50?

Highlighted
Hiker

American and UK Amazon users have to learn from German users Smiley Wink

gopro.jpg

Highlighted
Anonymous

Gopro batteries are unavailable in Australia (according to the Gopro website).

Ordered three Wasabi batteies and charger for $58.95 incl postage (as compared to $35 each plus charger + postage for OEM from Gopro) then discovered the Wasabis are not usable (having just updated to 1.55 firmware). 

Either make your batteries available and reasonably priced or reap the bad karma (no, not that one).

Not a good look Gopro.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Gopro batteries are unavailable in Australia (according to the Gopro website).

Ordered three Wasabi batteies and charger for $58.95 incl postage (as compared to $35 each plus charger + postage for OEM from Gopro) then discovered the Wasabis are not usable (having just updated to 1.55 firmware). 

Either make your batteries available and reasonably priced or reap the bad karma (no, not that one).

Not a good look Gopro.

Screenshot 2016-12-08 00.59.01.jpg
Highlighted
Anonymous

I found a comment on this video from mpa420 with instructions on downgrading the firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGkgqTEnfw&t=4s

I just got my OE GoPro replacement batteries from Wasabi, so I'm not going to downgrade