Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

Just to clarify, you did do the MANUAL update, right? Also, what SD card (make/model/size)?
Anonymous

I haven't tried the manual update, but I've successfully upgraded the firmware to v01.55 with the app. Doesn't this mean I have the correct firmware? Do I really need to go through the trouble of doing the manual update if I have the correct version already? The SD card that I have is: SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Class U-1 Memory Card
Explorer

Yes, you should try the manual update. I would think that spending 10-15 minutes doing the manual update will be less trouble than making a trip to Best Buy to return/exchange the camera.
Anonymous

Okaayyy you convinced me :P I'll give it a shot later today and report back, thanks for helping!
Explorer

[ Edited ]

I hope it works for you.  If not, then exchanging the camera is probably the best avenue.  I'm not a big fan of SanDisk and it seems that many people are having issues with these cards.  I initially thought perhaps there were so many SanDisk issues coming up due to the popularity of the card, but several people, including myself, have been able to resolve our camera issues simply by changing to a different brand.  I personally recommend Samsung Pro/Pro+ and Lexar 633X/1000X/1800X.  If you can get your hands on one of these cards, I highly suggest you try one of them instead of the SanDisk you currently are using.  If not, it's worth a shot with the SanDisk so you might as well.  It is recommended by GoPro and some people have reported the SanDisk cards working for them.

When you go to do the manual update, please follow these steps (I know I said 10-15 minutes but if you do all the steps below I think it will be fair to say you tried everything).

1. Remove the SD card and battery from the camera and hold down the power (side) button for 30 seconds
  2. Replace only the battery and fully charge your camera.....while it's charging do steps 3-6
  3. Format your SD card in your computer leaving the SD card name blank
  4. Download the manual update (when you get to the page to download you will press the button twice, once to create the firmware and a second time to download)
  5. Put the Update (not Update.zip) folder on your SD card
  6. With a fully charged battery...
  7. Put the SD card into your camera and allow it to complete the update (it will power on and off so wait for the check mark on the front screen)
  8.  Format your SD Card in your HERO5 Black
  9.  Power your camera down using the side button
  10.  Remove the battery and wait 15 seconds
  11.  Remove the SD card
  12.  Re-insert the SD card
  13.  Re-insert the battery
  14.  Power on your camera using the side button
  15. Take two pictures
  16. Record a test video
  17. Connect to the Capture app and scroll to the bottom of settings and press Date/Time to set the date and time on your camera
  18. Check your Auto Upload connection (if you have wireless internet connect your camera to this network.  You can use the Capture app or the menu on the camera to make the connection and enter the password)
  19. If you haven't already, create a GoPro Plus account (you can cancel very easily if you decide to not use it after the initial free trial)
  20. Plug your camera into a wall charger and allow to fully charge and complete the cloud upload
  21. Unplug your camera and let it sit
  22. Check the battery level in the morning

If after all of that you are still having issues, exchange your camera.  I should be telling you to contact GoPro Customer Service, but I really doubt there is more you can do and even if you got it working, I doubt your faith in that particular camera will be very high. With your new camera, DON'T TURN IT ON.  Instead do the above steps.  If the exchange camera gives you issues, I suggest you try a different SD card.  Of course, it will be completely reasonable for you to just return the camera after doing all of the above and not getting a good working camera.  I really want this to work for you though.  As someone who has been using GoPro cameras since they first came out with the original Hero, I can tell you this is an amazing camera that, for me, works incredibly well.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Daniel

Explorer

One last thing, DON'T disable anything when you run the test.  Your camera should work just fine without having to disable its features.  You might get a very small reduction in your battery %  from the Bluetooth that stays on for 8 hours, but nothing as drastic as you have described.  If you choose to disable features later, that's fine.  But, your initial test should be done with everything at the factory settings.

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@danielr15Curious... are steps 1 and 10 necessary?  What are they for?

Anonymous

The point is to do basic troubleshooting. 

If after that you still encounter severe drain than exchange the device.