Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

After playing around a bit disabling this and that, I think I've found the cause of my battery drain. Whilst mine wasn't significant to others (full battery drain) mine was dropping about 9% over the night / course of the day. 

Normal suspest disabled (WiFi) but still 8 - 9% battery drain.

After disabling; GPS, Quick Capture I was still getting about 8 - 9% drain.

Formatting the SD card didn't improve it either. SD card is Scan disk Extreme 64gb.

However with the most recent function disabled: Voice commands. The battery was at 8% (At this point I had also re-enabled Quick Capture)

Left it over night and checked it in the morning, much to my suprise the battery was at 9% so appears to have actually increased by 1% Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Anonymous

I opened the brand new box today and 1)fully charged the battery 2) updated firmware.

Battery is draining off by the minute even when not in use. When i used it for few clipds it hardly gave 10 mins of recording time before going down from 80% to 10% and then suddenly switch off. 

I dont know the next steps except to return the product. Suggestions?

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous

Did you do a manual update?  Try it (again).

That kind of battery drain is extreme.  Where did you get the camera?  It sounds like something is wrong with the battery.  70% battery drain in 10 minutes?  Exchange the camera.

And just for good measure, what SD card are you using (Make/Model/Size)?

Highlighted
Anonymous

unfortunately, i can confirm this issue. 

Got the GoPro 5 Black yesterday for my birthday, yeej to me.
Charged it, updated it, played with it a few minutes, and left it charging overnight.

In the 60 mins between my commute from home to the lake, it completely discharged to 15%! 
And within 1 min it was down and dead. 

Back home, charged it again, and it drains within 10 mins to 65%.....

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

It was a gift delivered fresh off verizon website. i am using a regular 8 GB card from my DSLR just to try out. I also think the issue is with battery rather than camera because such a quick drain on battery is not possible otherwise. I had wifi, connect etc switched off as well.

I was wondering if there is a bad lot of batteries entering the market in the rush for holiday supplies ..... 

On update question- i updated through the Quik desktop app after connecting through USB. It seemed to work with no failure pointed out. Whats a manual update??

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

If a GoPro battery is draining that quickly, I'd suggest contacting GoPro Support directly at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

How do you charge your batteries?  via cam or via external charger?  What powers it?  TBH GoPro should be including a 5V charger as part of the kit instead of just including a USB cable.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hello,

Mostly using a wall charger (5v 2.5 amp), If I take a bike ride then using an external battery (5v 2A)

Occasionally using the usb port on my pc.