Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
There's a new firmware update for your HERO5 Black and your HERO5 Session... and we have new updates for Capture and Splice now available. Time to update!
Cameras
Hiker

Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

Hi Guys,

I bought the new gopro 5 black and there seems to be a problem.

After turning everything off, when turning the camera back on (after 9 hours of not use) i see that the camera is warm (temperature exeeds alot the room temperature) and the battery remains from 100% to 62%

How is this possible?

It's brand new....I had it or 2 days.

Charging was done either via laptop or wall plug 5v 1A

I will try updating to the latest firmware via the capture app...maybe this solves it. 

Appreciate your comments on this topic. 

Thanks!

Backpacker

Re: Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

@stoutstorm76018

Hopefully the firmware update helps.  If not, please try taking the SD card out and testing to see if you get the same battery drain with it out.

Regards,

Daniel

Sightseer

I think I'm getting the same issue as well, charge it up but when I go to turn it on a few hours later it's just completely drained. Don't have an SD card in it yet or anything.

Hiker

Hi,

I did the firmware update..I tested it for a couple of hours and the temperature doesn't rise anymore. 

The firmware update did some nice improvements. 

The battery is now full and I will let it overnight turned off to see if it drains itself.

I will keep you guys posted. 

GoPro Community Manager

One other thing to check is to make sure the wifi is off when you're done with the camera. The HERO5 doesn't use the blinking blue light that our other cameras have used, so you'll want to make sure that it you've turned on the wifi, that you turn it off when you're done.

To turn off the wifi, down-swipe and go into Connect. At the end of the menu is the option to turn it off. Alternatively, you can eject the battery when the camera is not in use (that's what I typically do - it's a habit I got into with my cameras a long time ago).

Hiker

Hello,

All the conections are turned off of course : wifi, bluetooth, gps and voice control. 

After 7.5 hours of not use where the battery was at 100% it shows me now that it is at 76%

Therefore a 4% loss in battery after 8 hours.

The firmware update definetly helped in this case. 

The camera did not overheat so this is an improvement. 

I can only recommend you to have the battery taken out if not using the gopro. 

When I first unpacked the camera (the package was seiled) I noticed that the Li-Ion battery was at 16%. As far as I know this is not normal since all the Li-ion batteries when shipping need to be somewhere between 40% and 50% in order to prolong lithium-based batteries. I will test to see after 8 hours with the battery out, the percentage level. 

Backpacker

This might not be specific to your case, but just a reminder to anyone who is getting a new GoPro, always charge your battery completely before you turn it on for the first time and immediately run the fimrware update.

Hiker

Hi guys,

I put the battery back in the camera and the battery percentage did not flinch. 

This is the only solution I can advise if you power down the device for more than 4 hours. (remove the battery from the camera)