Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

Yes there are SANDISK EXTREME® microSD™ UHS-I CARDs on the list. But no 128Gb. The hero5 should be compatible with 128Gb, right?

If the camera can not handle one of most common performance cards I am really worried what the design team does!?

Tourist

I´ve had 4 different Gopro Hero 5 black cameras and all of them had heavy drain problems. I´ve tried all settings, different ways to update firmware, different SD cards and differnt ways to charge it, none of it helped. I´ve given up on the black and switched to the 5 session too see if it´s any better, sad but true

Sightseer

Hi! I went through the forum and I have the same drain-battery problem:

GoPro: Hero5 Black

Firmware: v02.00

Battery: SanDisk Extreme 64 GB - Class 10

Brand new (just a couple of days): Factory default

Fully charge (100%) yesterday night; 0% this morning (very disappointing because I was ready for a little adventure)

Any additional recommendation and/or expected bug-fix in the next firmware ? Thanks

Tourist

Same stuff for me. New H5B. I was surprised when i turned it of first time, that battery had only 16%, which is not usual charge level for storing Lion batteries. Anyways, charged it overnight, packed in the morning to bag (turned off) and didn't touch it until evening. Then, after work (about 10hrs later), i turned camera on and it has 0%.
Disappointing indeed!
Firmware is 2.0, card is Kingston Ultimate 64GB, but i believe card should have nothing to do with draining battery when camera is off.

Explorer

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but considering how often it is repeated, if you choose to use a card not on the recommended list then expect to have issues. You may not like it, you might not see the logic, but this is nothing new and it's not new to the Hero5.

If you don't want to hear it here, try going to an independent forum like www.reddit.com/r/GoPro
That group got so tired if telling people to use a recommended card they created a bot that does it automatically any time SD card gets mentioned.

Sightseer

I used a recommended SD card (SanDisk Extreme 64 GB - Class 10) and I saw the problem once.

In the last three days, I tried to replicate the issue again, but after I factory reset the GP Hero5 Black and format the SD card, I couldn't.

It looks like, one of the setting I changed from the default config, triggered the battery drain problem.

I'll keep testing ...

Tourist

Miracles do happen, after i formatted my (as i learned here, non/recommended card, though not lagging in any parameter) from inside the camera, i see no battery loss in last few hours. I still can't understand HOW can microSD drain battery on turned off camera, and i would appreciate some sane explanation here, but well, and can't complain anymore...

Highlighted
Tourist

I had the same problem of battery draining however I managed to solve it with the many recommendations everybody has posted in this forum.

However, I still have one big doubt, what is the normal discharge rate of a turned off gopro 5 black with wifi and voice recognition disabled??

Normally when I have 90% and check it again the next day without using it and it will be around 80 to 85%.

Just wanted to know if they normally do this, because can I dont remember if this used to happen with my hero4 silver.

Best wishes!!