Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Gopro 5 Black battery drain when off

You should try updating your camera manually. You can do it here. https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera

I have never had the battery drain issue but I updated my camera before ever using it so I don't know how much it changes things, although sever people have reported that it fixes the problem.

I use a Samsung Pro+ 64GB in my Hero5 Black with the current update.  I don't bother with turning connections on/off but it apparently helps to turn it off manually.  You can do this by pulling down on the screen and scrolling to the bottom.  You want the power symbol grey not white.  I'm sure I'm getting some loss of power since I don't turn mine off but it's never been significant enough that I really noticed. I do make sure I have completely closed the capture app on my phone but that's about it.  I went four days without using my Hero5 last week and when I turned it on it was pretty close to full power.  I can't remember the reading but I'm pretty sure it was in the 90%+.  I took it out and filmed my kid skate boarding for over an hour so it had plenty of power.

Anonymous

SOLUTION: 

While I was unable to update my camera firmware through QUIK, I managed to update it when I had the camera connected the my iPhone on the CAPTURE app (didn't work on caputre on my iPad however). This allowed me to update my camera software from version 1.02 to the lastest version 1.50.

Once I had version 1.50 I charged the GoPro to full charge, left it overnight and check the next morning (previously it would have drained by morning) and it still had 100% charge, two days later was down to 99%. So essentially the problem is simply solved with the software update, if that doesn't work for people then it would be worth looking into the battery itself. I also had the 'Connections' power button turned off, however I will experiment shortly to make sure that the charge is retained with the new software even if connection is turned on.

Anonymous

I ended up with the same issue with the battery drain while off on my Hero 5. After trying everything mentioned above I still had the same issue.

Fairly certain I have fixed it now with turning off the Quick Capture option. After I wake up in the morning and these vodkas (down $400 and already having battery issues) have worn off I'll post again.
Anonymous

Down to 86% this morning from 98% about 12 hours ago. Not completely fixed but it has improved from a full drain.
Anonymous

I just got my GoPro 5 and it was dead overnight.  Completed firmware update today and will shut off the services.  We need to hope that technical dept will determine what is consuming power while unit is off and resolve with a subsequent update.  This just seems unreasonable that you need to take a battery out of the unit to preserve the charge.

Tourist

I bought gopro hero 5 and I already returned the gopro 2 times and all had the same defect. And no one belonging to Gopro was able to say how to solve the problem. With the MACHINE OFF THE BATTERY drain in ONE DAY! Do not buy gopro hero 5 .. it's very very bad. And the gopro support said that being a lithium battery it was normal. Conclusion: every time you turn off you need to remove the battery.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I bought gopro hero 5 and I already returned the gopro 2 times and all had the same defect. And no one belonging to Gopro was able to say how to solve the problem. With the MACHINE OFF THE BATTERY drain in ONE DAY! Do not buy gopro hero 5 .. it's very very bad. And the gopro support said that being a lithium battery it was normal. Conclusion: every time you turn off you need to remove the battery.

Hiker

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that.

Mine fiexd itself after the firmware update and testing it for 2 weeks long.

Now after 3 weeks of not using it it went from 100% to 99%.

I can live with that. 

I am filming with an external battery hooked up to it and I never had since any issues. 

attach1.jpg