Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro9 is unable to connect to MacOS

[ New ]

I have two GoPro9 cameras.  When I got them I was shocked to find that GoPro had stopped supporting Qlik for Desktop and because of their implementation of USB, the cameras do not show as drives in Finder.  In addition, the fact that GoPro states that "they have moved on from Qlik" does not help us when they did not provide any new solution that was practical.

After some discussion with GoPro support I was finally able to get the GoPro9s to connect and I was able to offload content over USB using ImageCapture.

I just tried this recently, on a new M1 mac and I now find that imageCapture sees the camera but throws an error shows no content. The camera shows no content in imageCapture. I was able to reinstall Qlik to test that, but that also sees the camera but cannot read it.  Beyond detecting the camera, content is effectively invisible to the computer. BTW, I am using MTP for USB.

So, GoPro had basically broken the ability to read content directly from the camera.  While I am a subscriber, I do not use the cloud service as I am often not on the internet.  I just want to plug the camera in and offload content. I can't do that anymore. In addition, plugging in the USB appears to lock up the camera and I have to pull the battery.  

The only option I have is to pull the battery, release the micro SD card, find an adapter and then plug that into an adapter for the computer to read the card.

I do not understand why GoPro is making this more and more difficute to interact with their cameras (removing ProTune settings from the iOS App anyone?).

One thing I do understand is that after 10 years of buying GoPros, these will be the very last I buy.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro9 is unable to connect to MacOS

[ New ]

Hi @kerryn146

What OS version is your Mac on?

Have you tried using a different port/cable?

Check out Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kerryn146

What OS version is your Mac on?

Have you tried using a different port/cable?

Check out Camera is not Recognized when Plugged into a Computer USB Port

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3

I have tried the USB4/Thunderbolt ports on the M1 Macbook Air and also USB-C and USC-A ports on a thunderbolt connected CalDigit TS3+ dock.

This is a GoPro issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

I solved it.  Looking at the URL link for troubleshooting, I finally reformatted the SD card and then, when plugged it, Quik does recognize the camera media and off loads the content.

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to hear that, @kerryn146. Thanks for getting back with an update. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Hiker

[ New ]

You have to be kidding me! 

I just purchased the GoPro Hero 9 camera to cover my 35th Anniversary.  I epxect to offload video/pictures right to my iMac using USB connection and now just reading this note!!

Come on GoPro!!!!! Apple is at the heart of video content...this is fundemental ....

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @drlette. What seems to be the issue? Is your HERO9 Black camera not detected by your Mac? Are you using the original USB-C cable that came with the camera package? 

Make sure that your camera is in MTP mode. To do this, go to Preferences, then Connections, then USB Connection, then MTP. This should allow the transfer of media from the camera to your computer.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, feeling much better!! Devoloping products for years and compatibility/validation is basic requirements before shipping the product!

I did not see that the videos transferred to the iMac?.....anything else special that I need to do?

I will recheck the process.....

GoPro

[ New ]

@drlette. You may also check the steps detailed at How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Mac. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Ok, some of the videos transferred.  After taking few more videos and pictures the pictures have no problem transferring but the videos are not being recongnized . Lets recap;

Computer details - iMac 21.5 (2012) using macOS Catalina 10.15.7, 3.1Ghz Quad Intel i7, 16GB memory 

App details - Apple Photes Ver 5 (161.0.120)

Hero 9 - ver 01.52 

uSD - 32GB (Sandisk came from factory)

Able to connect and it gets recongnized (MTP enbled) , using apples PHOTO i can "IMPORT" no issues to my main Picture folder.  When i view the files some have images, others DO NOT. and they do not have any file info.  Can see them on the camera side when viewing from back LCD display....as if the image is lost...  

I continue to investigate.....  but getting close....

The next tests will be with water because this is my 35th annivesary vacation camera...Hawaii!!  everything needs to be validated....:-)