Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro9 is not saving videos / files are broken

[ New ]

I have faced few problems with my GoPro9. Sometimes it looks like it is recording my my videos, but they are not saved. Sometimes it does save the file, but the file is broken. Sometimes it saves the file that can be seen in the camera only - not in the app nor on the memory card. I've purchased GoPro this April from gopro.com (memory cards as well). I use my GoPro mainly for skydiving. I am an instructor and sometimes I film tandems. Overall I decided not to film tandems this season as my GoPro is not reliable.

What I have tried and it helped was doing format of my memory card before using my camera, which is sort of solution, but not really 100% guarantee that I will have my footage. I cannot format my memory card every time between the jumps. 

The first time I had the problem, when no footage was saved to the camera, I've asked my friend's camera footage (who was on the the jump with me) to make sure my camera was recording - it was filming. I've tested it on the ground, I could see one video on the camera, but not in the app or memory card. Formatted the card, it worked for some time. 

Yesterday I had a coached jump with a student and got a broken footage from the jump. I've copied it to the app, but preview is not available. Copying the file to my computer is not working (attached the error from my desktop).

Overall it is very disappointing to have such unreliable camera. I've used GoPro Session for few years with no major issues (in the very beginning it was freezing, but camera update helped). 

I've checked the GoPro app on my phone, camera is up to date.

Please help me solve this problem or contact me to help return the camera.
Error_0x80070570.png
Backpacker

Re: GoPro9 is not saving videos / files are broken

[ New ]

I've seen reports of this issue a lot and it seems that all users who are reporting this issue are using SanDisk cards, either the ones they got free with the GoPro or ones they purchased seperately.

For some, the following video helps:

DemonView GoPro Tips 18 SD Card Issues and Care - YouTube

However, for just about everyone, I recommend they switch to a Samsung Evo card.  People have done this and reported no further issues.  Even if you do switch cards, pay attention to the video, it explains the best way to use your SD cards, how to properly fix issues and ensure you have a reliable recording experience.

Hope this helps

Tourist

[ New ]

I've purchased additional SD card when buying my GoPro. Last time when I got my Hero Session 5, I've bought SD card from regular shop and that one didn't work properly, had to buy new one, which happened to be SanDisk Extreme and worked just fine. GoPro sells their product with SD card that as a customer I trust to fit the product aka GoPro camera.

But about proposed solution - even with this 2-step format camera recordings are not reliable. GoPro saved 2 videos out of 6 on Saturday, other files were "Unable to view". Next day it recorded 4 out of 5. So no consistancy. 

So I've done format on my PC, with correct file system, no fast formats. Then formatted it on my GoPro. And then went jumping - 5 videos out of 10 jumps were lost. 

Tourist

[ New ]

*out of 11 jumps

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @mariaveide. If the issue persists despite performing troubleshooting and using a recommended card, please let our Support Team know. They will walk you through the next steps. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

@mariaveide What SD card are you using, are you still using the SanDisk card?

Tourist

[ New ]
I've tried to contact it twice, both were unsuccessful. Once I got a call and I heard someone started talking, but it was not the best connection and they finished the call. The second time the call was silent - I got it, but no one was talking
Tourist

[ New ]
@irishmanpdx yes, I am using SanDisk that I've bought additionally with GoPro9, 64Gb