Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro8 Lockup and black video issues

[ New ]

I have had 2 GoPro8 cameras. Both cameras unexpectedly lockup and require the battery to be removed and replaced before the camera will work again. On my last whitewater kayaking trip I also had three videos that had audio but the video was "black".

Several other users have posted these issues previously. GoPro moderators have made many suggestions but to my knowledge none of these suggestions resolved these issues.

Some of the suggestions include-
SD card issues
Off brand battery
Excessive vibrations
Excessive heat/cold
etc.

On a 6 day kayak trip we had three kayakers that had GoPro8s and everyone had to pull the battery at least once. I had to pull the battery 3x over 6 days.
Most clips were short (less than 5min, <1GB).
The videos recorded were fine until the 3rd day when three of the videos are "black" but the audio is fine. The next two days all the videos were fine. All three videos that were "black" were over 3.4GB; however, I had several videos that were over 3.4GB that were fine. Note that the *.LRV were also "black" on the problematic videos.

Camera settings:
Card was formatted in the canera before the start of the trip.
GOPro lab firmware v2.50.71 | January 2021
SAMSUNG EVO Select 64GB microSDXC UHS-I U1
One Click: ON
2.7K 4:3 , 60fps, W, Hypersmooth ON, Low Light:OFF, Bit Rate: Std, Shutter: Auto EV Comp:-1, White bal: Auto, Iso (100,800), Sharp: Med, Color: GoPro, Raw Audio: OFF
Authentic GoPro8 battery

GoPro seems unable or unwilling to resolve these issues observed by so many users.

GoPro please address these issues!!!

GoPro

Re: GoPro8 Lockup and black video issues

[ New ]

Hi @cooldive07503

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Can you please try setting the Low Light option OFF.

Do a couple of test recordings and see if the same happens.

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to have this checked further.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Ej, if you look at my post I stated that low light option was already turned off.

GoPro

[ New ]

The best path forward is to reach out to Support to have this checked further. @cooldive07503

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej