Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro3 dead

Plugged my GoPro3 into my PC to charge..charging began(light on etc.). When I went to collect it, it was completely dead(& the unit however was very warm)..Now won't switch on, no lights even when connected to PC etc. Have tried taking battery & SD card out then holding Power button whilst replacing battery etc..absolutely nada!. Any ideas on anything else to try would be much appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation. Tony.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GoPro3 dead

Did you try the steps of removing battery and SD card and then holding down power button for 20-30 seconds and then pressing down the Shutter button and replacing the battery? Keep the shutter button pressed while pressing the power button and waiting to release until after the camera powers on?

After trying that, go through the steps outlined here https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/HERO3-Camera-Will-Not-Power-ON

If that doesn't revive your camera, remove the battery (and SD) and put it in a sealed bag and then in your freezer for several hours. Remove and try the steps I gave above.

If all three methods don't work, you'll need to contact the GoPro Support Team and they will try to help you trouble shoot and give you options.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Highlighted
Tourist

Many thanks for your suggestions, very much appreciated... Have tried the first two suggestions with no joy, am about to try suggestion 3 by putting the card/Battery in the freezer for a few hours.

What I did notice whilst going through the processes provided by the link(from suggestion 2)...was when I put the battery back in & connected the camera to the USB port on my PC, although no lights came on & the camera appeared to still be dead, it definitely started to get warmer on one side(where the WIFI button is), though have no idea if that is significant in any way.

I will update you once I have tried suggestion 3.(post freezer option).

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards

Tony

Highlighted
Explorer

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Take the battery and SD card out and put the CAMERA in a bag and then into the freezer. It's not going to hurt anything if you get this email late (other than maybe cause your battery to drain), but I apologize. I should have been more clear.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks .... All ok I hadn't got to it yet....I  re-read your instructions & will put the camera in a sealed bag into the freezer for a few hours as you suggested(not the battery/card) ...Thanks again.

Best Regards

Tony.

Highlighted
Explorer

No problem. I had a Hero2 that started behaving as you described. I had to freeze it a couple of times but eventually it started working and has continued to work since.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,....The "freezer" option hasn't worked either unfortunately. I tried 3 times over the weekend but still absolutely nothing... I guess I need to try "Customer Services" to see what options are available to send back for repair or write-off. Many thanks for all your help, very much appreciated. Best Regards. Tony

Highlighted
Explorer

Sorry to hear.
All my best,
Daniel