Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro

[ New ]

Good afternoon, 

I have a problem with the SD card and my GoPro 9. For example, I have a 64GB card in my GoPro which is completely empty but the GoPro only allows me to record for 9min. Any ideas why this may be happening?

Nomad

Re: GoPro

[ New ]

Are you sure your GoPro isn't recording multiple 9 minute files?  This is called Chaptering and it's a normal function of your GoPro:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-File-Chaptering-Information/ta-p/390210

GoPro

[ New ]

This is odd, @litherange4687. Is this always the case? What happens at or after 9 minutes? Does the camera stop recording on its own, and stay on? Does it shut down? 

Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? Which SD card are you using? The information on the brand, type, and capacity will be helpful. Also, does it matter which resolution setting or mode is used in the camera?

We hope to hear back from you. These details will help us isolate the issue. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

It wasn't always the case, it just happened yesterday. After 9 minutes it just says "SD Card is full" and stops recording. 

I am not sure if my camera is updated to the latest firmware. How can I check? I am using a SanDisk 64gb Micro SD card. The settings on the GoPro do change the time a tiny bit but even on the lowest settings it only goes to 10min. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I never heard about chaptering with GoPro before. How do I check if it is chaptering? It used to not show 9min max of recording time. It randomly happened yesterday when I put my SD card in. I doubt it would be chaptering though because I didn't change any settings. 

Nomad

[ New ]

It's not chaptering, chaptering simply breaks your files up into 4GB sections that are usually 8mins in size.  If you are getting an "SD card full" error, then your SD Card is either not empty, faulty or fake.