Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GoPro shuts off randomly

[ New ]
I'm halfway trough the best mountain bike run on the mountain. I hear a long beep and look down. My gopro stopped recording. I click the record button again and it gives me one of those long beeps again and won't start back up.
I decide to take the run again to get the whole footage. Same thing... Long beep and it stops recording. Misses the majority of the run again.
Does anyone know why this happens? It's not that hot outside. I don't have a case. It doesn't feel warm. Battery is still around 50%.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GoPro shuts off randomly

[ New ]
What you are describing is usually associated with an error on the SD card. Usually it corresponds with the camera being unable to write to the card. This happens when:
1) Card runs out of storage space
2) Card dislodges
3) Bad sector on card

You should do a complete FULL format of the card in your computer, follow with a manual update and then a format in the camera. Set the camera on a table and then start a recording and see if it will fill the card without stopping. If that works (without the recording stopping like you experienced while MB), then format again in the camera and try on the trail. If the situation repeats, it could be the card dislodging. Try a second card and if the issue persist, contact the vendor where you purchased the camera for an exchange. If it was from GoPro, or if you are beyond return/exchange period with vendor, contact the GoPro Support Team.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @mdolfan54. Which resolution/frame rate is the camera set to? Which SD card is used in the camera? Is the camera paired with or connected to a Smart remote, the GoPro App? Is the voice command enabled? These will help us isolate what could be causing the trouble. We hope to hear back from you. 

Hiker

[ New ]
4k 60
Samsung Evo select U3
Paired but no connection active
Voice command enabled but no words being said
Explorer

[ New ]
What you are describing is usually associated with an error on the SD card. Usually it corresponds with the camera being unable to write to the card. This happens when:
1) Card runs out of storage space
2) Card dislodges
3) Bad sector on card

You should do a complete FULL format of the card in your computer, follow with a manual update and then a format in the camera. Set the camera on a table and then start a recording and see if it will fill the card without stopping. If that works (without the recording stopping like you experienced while MB), then format again in the camera and try on the trail. If the situation repeats, it could be the card dislodging. Try a second card and if the issue persist, contact the vendor where you purchased the camera for an exchange. If it was from GoPro, or if you are beyond return/exchange period with vendor, contact the GoPro Support Team.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Hiker

[ New ]
Could it possibly be the carb being worn down after time? Maybe from placing it in the gopro then in computer?
Explorer

[ New ]
Check the gold connectors on the card. If they look worn that could be an issue. Most likely though, that's not the issue (although I'm not saying it isn't). Testing with a different card should help rule out possible issues. I know it's time consuming, but try in the order I suggested.
Hiker

[ New ]
Looks clean so I will try that. I recently did a manual update onto the card so maybe that didn't help.