Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro session water damage.

I've had this camera for  about a year and has been lightly used, finally thought I would put it in good use, planing to snorkel with my family for the first time, thinking I would get awesome footage of the whale shark in La Paz Baja California Mexico. After having fun snorkeling i go to check out my camera and it's completely dead, I thought it was the battery, so I left it alone for at least 2 hours, went to plug it in and when I opened the small casing I noticed condensation on the lence and decided to take out the mini SD card and it was wet, really bummed, this was quite the epic day and anything of our vacation recorded is gone! Not sure why this happened but I'm sure GoPro is built to outlast snorkeling.

is there any recommendations on how to handle this? Something has to be done since it's a malfunction and I'm missing all the footage.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro session water damage.

Do you check the doof seal for dust and damage before closing it?

The camera is advertised for 10m max.

Highlighted
Explorer

Definitely sounds like the door was not shut properly or had dust or some sort of debris (even a fine hair could compromise the seal) as @joergq85077 mentioned.  The SD door is pretty much the only place that water can penetrate into the camera.  Even without the protective lens, it still retains some waterproofing.  the only other place that could possibly allow water to enter the camera is maybe through the top LCD.  It's possible @hat this could have been pressed in or received a small fracture that is now letting water in.  Very unlikely though.  The Session is wrapped tight and very difficult to damage, either by impact or submersion. Even when you try to take it apart, it's very resilient https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+Hero4+Session+Teardown/44307 

Highlighted
Tourist

Yeah I did, specially knowing we would use it on the water, thanks for the help tho.

Highlighted
Tourist

Right on, thanks for the help!

Highlighted
Nomad

Nevertheless you should get in touch with GoPro support. Let's see if they can (will) help

Highlighted
Anonymous

What do you do?? The same is happend to me
Highlighted
Explorer

You need to get in the with the Support Team https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus