Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro session stops recording

Well... @danielr15 and @mattb and @quickrange8876 I went and bought the samsung pro 64 gb U3 card, with up to 90Mbps read speed, I didnt go for the pro+ that I was thinking about which reads up to 95 just because its eye wateringly expensive but for the first time since I've had my Hero4 session it recorded everything without any errors, I didnt format it, I havent updated my camera, all I did was put the new card in.

I dont understand enough about the tech side to speculate why this card works and the kingston card didn't but my guess would be that its possibly to do with the higher read/write speeds because to all intents and purposes the other cards should be up to the job, the sandisk extreme is on the recommended list but users are experiencing issues?? You know the saying "All men are created equal, but some men are more equal than others" ?? Well I'm begining to think that can be applied to Micro SDHC cards too.

I wont say my recordings where perfect, there is some freezing, some pausing and when I uploaded them to my PC they display in a random order, so a 2hr 30 min bike ride captured in 12 minute segments is not sequentially viewable unless I can guess which segment follows which, not sure why this happens? But I will say it started when I pressed start, didn't stop until I stopped it (2 times I stopped/re started it manually during the ride) and everything saved as it should.

If anyone can help me with the random upload order thing I would welcome suggestions, I actually havent set dates, clock or asked it to sync time/date with my PC when I connect so maybe thats the answer?

The last thing I will say is that when my recordings went jerky or froze temporarily it was (or seemed to me to be) whenever there was excessive wind noise caused when I turned my head sideways (helmet mount) and the sound became very corrupted and screechy.

I hope this helps others frustrated by these issues.

Regards

Jezr

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting back to the forum! I'm glad to hear that the recommended card is working for you, though I'm sorry that you've had such a hassle up until then. It does sound frustrating. I am not an expert on SD cards and how they are classified or manufactured, so I unfortunately don't know the answer to your question about some cards of the same class being better than others. Perhaps another member knows the answer to that. 

As for the freezing mid-recording, if this is on your computer, it could be the computer struggling to process the footage. I would suggest uploading one as a test to YouTube to see if it runs better on their server rather than depending on your computer's ability to process it. That can be a good test to see. We also recommend using VLC Media Player or QuickTime Media Player to play your footage. 

And finally, the camera will split longer videos into chapters as you saw. They should be in order, though. I would make sure your Session's date and time are set correctly and I would also recommend importing the footage through the GoPro App for Desktop. I think that might help to synchronize it. 

Anonymous

I find it hard to believe that there are this many bad sd cards.  I wonder what Sandisk and Lexar would have to say if they read this thread?  I too had the same recording problems.  I am able to record on resolutions less than 1080.  But when I tried to record on 1080, it would give me the corrupt file error message after a few seconds.  After many times trying, I finally, got it to record in 1080 with FOV: Wide.  If I try to change my FOV to medium or narrow, it goes back to recording for a few seconds then the corrupt file error message appears.  I am using a SanDisk Extreme 64 GB card that had been working fine.  Tried to reformat the card and other suggestions in the thread, but I can not get it to record in medium or narrow FOV.

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

Just to clarify, the issue isn't that the other SD cards are bad, rather that they are not the recommended ones for the camera. They may work in other cameras or they may not. It isn't always the case that these cards don't work in the GoPro cameras either, rather that we have seen much more consistent results when using these cards that have been tested and approved for the list of SD card considerations. 

I do regret the inconvenience and hope that you will enjoy using your camera with the SanDisk Extreme card!

Anonymous

I purchased a Lexar 64 gb 633x UHS-1 card and that card has the same problem.  Now, I have two sd cards on the "recommended list" and neither of them work on 1080 FOV: medium.  Now what?

GoPro

@Anonymous, 

Unfortunately if that is the case then it would seem that there might be an issue with the camera itself. The 633x and any other card on that list should work just fine with the camera. Have you already tried manually updating the camera too? 

Is the issue that the camera is stopping recording midway through? If so, and if the update doesn't resolve the problem, then I'd recommend reaching out to the Support Team to see if they can look at the warranty of your camera or taking the camera back to the store where you bought it to have it exchanged. 

Anonymous

I went ahead and manually updated the camera.  I still have the same problem.  It stops recording after a few seconds in 1080 with FOV: medium.  It works fine in 1080 FOV: wide.

I have had a case number with the support team now for 2 days, but I have not heard back from anyone.

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm really sorry to hear the issue has continued for you even after another SD and the update. I took a look at your support case and it looks like you're in contact with an agent now. I hope everything will get resolved for you!