Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: GoPro session stops recording

Hey @quickrange8876, 

Sorry to hear you're running into some trouble there. Let me try to see if I'm understanding this correctly. 

The first camera's issue was that when you tried to launch into a time lapse it would instead start recording video. You then mentioned the second camera had the same problem, but I see you described a different problem right after, namely that time lapses stopped midway through. And are you also saying that after half an hour the time lapse would switch into a video or that BOTH time lapses and videos got cut off after about a half an hour? 

I know you're saying that there is a pattern, but I've actually never heard of a camera acting that way before, replacing time lapses with videos. 

You're also right, that the SanDisk Extreme card is recommended. By chance did you try all these cameras with the same SanDisk Extreme card? To clarify, did you use the same card or did you use multiple SanDisk Extreme cards? 

If not I would definitely try using a different card. It could be that you've got a defective SanDisk Extreme that would need replacing under warranty by SanDisk. And that's really the only thing I can think of if you're seeing those errors with a recommended card across the board.

As for the time lapse option going into video, do you hold down the button until the camera starts up, or just hold the button for 3 seconds and then let go? You'll want to be sure to hold the button down until you see the time lapse start. 

Let us know how that goes, and hopefully we can get that straightened out for you. 

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I'm having some of these issues with my Hero4 Session, I'm also using a card that is also not on the recommended list but its a 64gb Kingston SDXC I U1 Class 10 that I assumed would be good enough, looking at the packaging now its only 45MB/s read speed and the Samsung pro plus 64 U3 Class to is up to 95 read 90 write. I'm going to purchase the samsung and hopefully it will stop the frustrating issues, I have only had it 5 weeks but I've lost bits of and sometimes all of cycle rides, snorkelling in Turkey and messing around with family in the pool.

I've tested it a bit since I began reading this thread and it seems that each new time I use it Initially it will stop recording almost immediately the first time you start a recording, and wont save anything, but subsequently it will record happily for a random period, 51 minutes was the longest one and 25m 26s was the shortest, but when it stops of its own accord it wont save the recording, and more difficult to understand, it wont turn off either, not without repeated long press and holds of both buttons. It seems to cause a full on system crash

I hope the faster card resolves the issues I'm having, I'll report back in a week or two but for now if anyone else was thinking Kingston perhaps think again.

Jezr

Anonymous

I run an IT company and we are very adept at analysing peculiar problems with a whole range of electronic equipment. My only problem is this that when in time lapse the session records say 637 frames as it should but then reverts to recording video. All 4 sessions using compatible ssndisk cards do this intermittently
Further analysis seems to have revealed that updating the firmware by the download to card method rather than directly to the session, has eliminated the problem. Further tests are required before I'm convinced but it is a start.

I'm disappointed that GoPro cannot accept that there is a problem but understandable because they want to avoid a flood of returned gopro sessions. We in IT see this all the time, all manufacturers deny there's a problem when there is. Probably the next firmware update will fix it. Meanwhile I'll just live with it
Explorer

@Anonymous

I really hope the Samsung fixes your issues.  I have several GoPro cameras and the Session has become my favorite, "grab it and go" camera mainly because of it's durability, compact size, and due to the fact that I've never had any issues with it. The one thing I sometimes have problems with is getting the timing right so the camera switches to time laps and not video when I hit the button and long press for two seconds.  

I only use Samsung Pro and Pro + cards because I've had too many issues with SanDisk with all of my cameras.  To say I'm not a fan of SanDisk is an understatement as I also had one cause issues with my Samsung Galaxy 4 and LG v10.  I now only use these cards to store pictures from my computer.   From Sandisk I switched to Lexar 633x and 1000x and two of three still work fine.

Unfortunately, one of my Lexar 633x cards failed in my Hero3+ while on a family vacation so I'm a little gun shy to Lexar.  My Hero 3+ was draining the battery when off, suddenly shutting down when recording, and periodically giving me the NO SD error when the card was in the camera.  I had just bought a Samsung Pro card so I swapped it with the Lexar and suddenly the camera was fine.  It is for this reason I know always first suggest changing the SD card to anyone having issues.  Of course, for some, the issues is a faulty camera for whatever reason, but in most cases the response I get is positive once the card has been changed.  

In my Session right now I have a Samsung Pro (not the plus) and I haven't had any issues.  @Anonymous I'm going to test out some time laps with my Session to see if I get any issues.  I'm currently running one now. I'll report back 

Regards,

Daniel

Anonymous

Hey, Im using the same settings that you guys are and ive tried all the tips and other tips from other web site but it still happens. It's really making me mad because time and time again it keeps failing and i can only take action pictures. Please help me. It's more common than you think and so far there isn't anything to fix it.

Explorer

So I did three time lapse, each with different settings, with a full battery and ran each until the battery died. I didn't have any issues. I am using Samsung Pro card and the latest update. Since I can't replicate any of the issues mentioned in this thread, I can only suggest using a recommended card, updating your camera, and if that doesn't work, contact GoPro customer support. 

When posting issues, please post what SD card you are using. Even if it's on the list When enough people have issues it helps identify a potential problem card that might not have been identified as incompatible during testing.

Thanks and good luck,

Daniel

Anonymous

Hi all !

I am facing the same problem, will diving or simply filming without moving.

The camera stops itself after few seconds or minutes and record is lost 😭 : what a frustration...

I use an Sandisk 64Go and changed it for an Emtec 64 Go : same problem !

Any suggestion on what could be done ?

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous and @Anonymous, 

Have you guys tried using one of the cards from the recommended list in the posts above? Additionally, have you tried updating the camera's firmware? ​​​​​​​