Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro session stops recording

This happened to my GoPro Hero3+ for first time yesterday evening. Went cycling with group for two hours. GoPro kept quitting after few seconds up to 20 seconds but wouldn't save any files. I have been using SanDisks without problems before. At end of cycle ride when I determined that I had saved no recordings, I took long-life battery out and put back in, turned on, went through all the menus to check settings, and then pressed record button and it worked fine, recording my 15 minute cycle trip back home on three separate recordings. I have hours of GoPro Hero3+ recordings on the same SanDisk cards without trouble including the same card used yesterday evening - why this sudden problem I don't know. I format card each time in Hero3+ to remove previous recordings.

Explorer

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous

It sounds like your Hero3+ just needed a reboot. It is just a specialized computer. Glad to here it's working again. If you start to experience the issue more frequently, it might be time to get a new battery.  Lithium batteries have a limited cycle of charges before they start acting up.  As far as SD cards, they too can become corrupt and faulty. Since you are in the good practice of reformatting your card in the camera before each session, I don't suspect that this is your problem ( unless your card is SanDisk Ultra )

Regards,

Daniel

Anonymous

Thanks danielr15 - I have not had problems with SanDisk Ultra before but I was using 32GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card when problem began. I have ordered a couple of faster Lexar cards and hope I don't have the problem again with the new cards.

Explorer

@Anonymous

I hope they work for you. I've had good luck with Lexar 633x and 1000x. Currently I'm using Samsung Pro and Pro Plus and haven't had any issues,

Regards,

Daniel

Anonymous

I have a patriot 32gb SD that was having the same issues, I noticed that the name of thie card was NO NAME , the small card that did work find was named untitled, I changed the name of the SD card from NO NAME to gopro, working fine now.

give and a try and let us know..

Anonymous

I bought a Hero4 Session in vancouver a month ago with a Sandisk Extreme 32Gb which is on the approved list and my problem is that having used the extended single touch to record timelapse, the camera inexplicably goes into video record  instead.  I tried it several times in between reformatting and reinstalling firmware.  Problem intermittently persists but seemingly only in timelapse, recording video was ok.

Back in UK now & I bought a Hero Session (notice not a Hero4 Session ) from Gopro themsolves and it came bundled with a 32 Gb Sandisk Extreme card.  Same problem when trying to time lapse - time lapse intermittently would stop after 5 seconds and sometimes after half an hour and video recording started.

Also still back in the UK I bought a Hero 4 Session from CVP.  I am using a Sandisk Extreme 64Gb SD card, which is on the compatible list.  Same problem as the other two Gopro Hero Sessions - seemingly (so far) only when using timelapse at various intervals, but more commonly faulting when on 10 sec intervals.  In all cases, the time lapse stops and is replaced by recording video.

There seems to be a problem here GoPro and you are likely to get them back for a refund if you domn't come clean and address what is clearly an issue across many users and continents.  I would prefer to live with it and wait for a firmware fix soon but you've got to admit theres a problem first and if you don't think there is a problem, I can assure you that there is a problem.

Dave Thursby

ADM Computing Ltd

+44 (0) 1565 755200

Anonymous

I bought the Hero 4 Session yesterday with a Kingston Class 10 UHS-I SDHC 32GB card as a bundle. And later I encountered the same issue here. 1080p video recording @60Hz would be stopped 5 sec after one-click function and 1080p video@30Hz one-click recording sometimes OK with luck. However all video recording ran normally if the machine is powered on.

Luckly I found this thread and read it thoroughly, and knew the compatibility list. Most of them are SanDisk and Luxar cards.

The solution is clear and I appreciate that. But I am still confusing what is the root cause of this compatibility issue and keeping wondering why GoPro cannot make most mainstream brands compatible with their most popular product. As far as I know the Kingston card I have has a much higher speed than Luxar 633x card which is similar with Luxar 1000x card.

Right now I have to prestart the machine before recording 1080p@60Hz which is a little bit annoying, and I do not intend to purchase another TF card at a lower or a similar speed.

Anonymous

I am having the same issue. I have tried all three and the camera still crashes.