Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: GoPro session stops recording

Yeah.. I labeled all my older chips with slower speeds for pictures, and invested another set of UHS Class 3 for all my video recordings. Its the simpliest things sometimes that can ruin your shoot!

Anonymous

I have done both and still have the problem. Camera is new. First time I used it. SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC UHS1
Card. I'm dealing with tech support now. Got this as a gift at the end of May and didn’t break it out until sailing 2 weeks ago, well, didn’t get any of that video. I've wasted numerous hours on something that should work and costs a premium. I'm formatting the card again and will give it one more shot.

Anonymous

I solved this issue by formatting the card like everyone suggested but it only made it stop a little later than it used to. I figured out that turning off the upside down feature fixed it permanently. Apparently the upside down feature is a bit costly and would require a faster card than the one I have.

Anonymous

All I'm seeing is right side up, upside down, or auto. Not seeing "off".

Explorer

Keeping the setting on right side up is the equivalent of turning the auto and upside down off.

Samsung Pro/Pro+ cards work really well. Sandisk Ultra should never be used in a GoPro camera. I'm not sure about Samsung Evo, but I suspect these cards would cause issues too due to their slower write speed. Unfortunately, SD card manufacturers usually only post read speeds and this has little value when selecting a good card for your camera.
Anonymous

I tried all of the upside down setting, no luck. I have a new SanDisk Extreme 32 I bought from GoPro. I'm wondering if the card is bad. I have reset the H4 to factory and reinstalled the updates, still same result. I ordered another card to check that out.

Anonymous

You want to pick Right Side Up

Anonymous

So I gathered that ultimately this issue boils down to the fact that the card cannot keep up with the speed the camera is trying to write down data. The SD cards do get fragmented, so you Format it using the camera to help resolve this particular factor. Other things that might slow down (in my experience) was shooting "upside down." Using "Right side up" resolves that particular factor. Another big factor is the resolution and the frame rate you're trying to shoot at, lowering these would help resolve this particular factor. For example instead of 1080 @60fps, try 1080 @48fps or @30fps or @24fps, if not then 720 etc.  Newer cameras have Raw and Mpeg at the same time I think, that also can be turned off. Mine is a HERO3 Black.

Buyuing the fastest card out there will definitely help you use the camera to its full extent.