Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro range extender

[ New ]

I'm looking for a camera which I can attach to a drone that is being used for confined space inspections e.g. sewer inspections. I want to use the new GoPro for these inspections but will need to have a live stream video footage. I am aware that the GoPro wifi only works between 35-50 feet away from the app without the obstruction of thick walls. Of course, for sewage inspections, there will be thick concrete obstructing. Is there any way that live streaming would be possible with the use of a video extender, attached to the drone. 

Nomad

Re: GoPro range extender

[ New ]

Why you dont use a Cinewhoop?

I am using an Runcam 5 4K camera, which have EIS and same simelair detail.

d5yUuTy.jpg

The VTX (video transmitter) on this drone is 800mw, which is enough for like several miles. It sends through concrete, but then limits the range a bit. Or you can look into Crossfire (long range transmitter)

Nomad

[ New ]

The smaller camera below the Runcam (kubus camera) 5, is being used for First Person View. I am using an Runcam Eagle Pro for that, which sends the feed to my headset so you can navigate through that.

image.png

There also HD digital versions which give a better clear view than analogs, but that depends on your wallet. Digital isnt cheap.

Tourist

[ New ]

So using the video transmitter, I would be able to livestream the video footage from several miles away, dependant on obstructions of course?

Also what is the specific video transmitter that you use, so that i can try and find it online?

Tourist

[ New ]

Also I'm gonna be using this drone in the dark, do you have any recommendations on what kind of light i could use to attach to the drone?

Nomad

[ New ]

Do you have a drone already?

If not, remember the Hero 9 is pretty heavy, and alot of ppl having issues with recording on a drone. And no, you cant livestream the Hero9 and drone together because your livestream from the Hero9 needs your telephone to get 4g/5g internet. Onces out of range, you livestream has no internet anymore.

The easist way is to go with a GPS drone, which have horizontal leveling (angle). These also can stay on 1 point in the air. The Cinewhoop has no GPS, so you need to fly manual, and can be verry difficult if you never flew a drone in manual mode, or even at angle mode.

Let me know first if you have already a drone. Guessing your name, i think you have, but dunno for sure :)

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for responding so quick! I don't actually have a drone haha, I am a university student and I'm currently designing and making the drone, with the expectation that we will need to manufacture and build it (and obviously fly it.) 

It is for sewage inspection so it will be used in the dark and will need a long range. We don't have limitations on cost, we just need to be practical. I'm sturgling at the moment to find a camera that will provide me with good range even in a sewers, in order to live stream the footage. I looked into FPV cameras but was told that the quality won't be good enough for inspecting cracks on sewer walls for example.

I appreciate you probably won't know how to help me with this, but thank you so much for responding anyway, I'm very grateful! :) 

Nomad

[ New ]

Well you have 2 kind of drones.

GPS Based drones; which can hover on 1 spot, but are mostly ready to fly and can be used together with your phone. Those drones mostly have an HD camera onboard. For dark places, you could just use some leds for that.

FPV Drones; which cant stay stationary (or you need to have verry good control) are are mostly manual (acro). These drones mostly also have angle mode, which means its stays horizontal how much you push the drone on the controls. Acro is full manual.

Anyone who never fly these drones, its verry difficult. So you have 2 know what the drones both can do. Just search for some GPS Based drones and the more manual Cinewhoop drones.

Especially if you want to check small spaces like sewers, then the drone which i have isnt really ideal for it. You dont learn to control these drones in just 1 day. Will take months if not years when you become really good. Thats why alot ppl go for the GPS based drones.

But why you want to livestream? Cant you just get a drone with HD camera and let that record the sewer, and send the videofeed to your phone. I am not into GPS based, so i dont know if those can livestream. You have to look that for yourself.

But the drones i have, arent really cheap, and you need alot extra stuff (remote control, minimal 4 inch drone to carry an 4K camera (runcam, gopro), and a little camera for navigating (FPV camera), and goggles to see the FPV feed.

For example i can livestream my video feed to OBS (livestream player for Twitch, Youtube, FaceBook, etc). I make use of an 5.8G OTG Reciever called Skydroid. This reciever recieve video from my little drone. But you need alot extra stuff. 

drone