Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro or keep my Sony

[ New ]

Hi all!

Thinking of going from Sony to GoPro, but have too many questions I cannot find good answers to. Could you maybe help?

1. Can I charge the 10 while recording. I use it on a motorcycle and need it to be always on and ready to record for hours at end.

2. How easy is it to switch between picture and movie mode while riding.

3. Is there a proper handlebar mount for the remote?

4. Can the remote be charged while in use? If not, what is the expected battery capacity with always on

5. Will the stabilization prevent the camera from following the lean angle of the bike?

6. I see 4 aps for editing, but which should I use for Mac and action cam.

7. Which mod or external mic will provide the best sound while maintaining the requirements above?

Please make the Hero10 my next cam!

Thx Trond

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: GoPro or keep my Sony

[ New ]

1. Can I charge the 10 while recording. I use it on a motorcycle and need it to be always on and ready to record for hours at end.

No, nor should you try, this will result in overheating.  Instead just remove the internal battery completely and power the camera externally via a powerbank of a 12V socket with a 5V 2A power USB power converter (readily available at mobile phone stores, auto stores and amazon).

Frankly you shouldn't be putting your hands on or trying to operate any electronics while riding, that's called "Distracted riding/drive" and it's dangerous.  Either pick one mode or the other and concentrate on the road.  Frankly if I were to try to operate my vehical in such a dangerous manner...... I would say it's either easiest to use the smart remote or use voice control.  However voice control will vary depending on the loudness of your bike and environment.

You don't need one.  The Remote comes with a very generous length of velcro which can wrap around the handle bars to keep it secure.  

4. Can the remote be charged while in use? If not, what is the expected battery capacity with always on

The remote cannote be charged while in use, nor should you have to.  GoPro claim you can get a 50 hour battery life with the remote after charging.  However it's not recommended you operate your bike for 50 hours as one would expect to get very stiff legs from maintaining the same position for that length of time.  

5. Will the stabilization prevent the camera from following the lean angle of the bike?

It depends on the stablization used.  Normal stabilization will stop some lean angle, but once you exceed that lean angle than there will be a sudden movement of the camera angle as it "leans".  Using horizon leveling will give you a greater lean angle than not using it, but again, once you reach a certain point, your camera will indeed "jump" to the lean angle.  Using the Max Lens Mod (not available for use yet until a forthcoming firmware update) will result in the removal of the lean angle completely.

The only video editor that GoPro currently supports is GoPro Quik for Android and iOS.  GoPro does not offer a desktop video editor as there are so many on the market, many are professional and completely free (Da Vinci Resolve) that GoPro would end up investing money and time into an already overcrowded market place.  It's suggested you get Quik for Android or Apple and something like DaVinci resolve for your Mac.

7. Which mod or external mic will provide the best sound while maintaining the requirements above?

Sound and external mics have nothing to do with the above requirements, not sure why you think it would.  To get the best sound possible, you have to act and think like a professional and do what professionals do.  So when you see a "professional" looking clip online, they are not using "in camera" audio at all.  Instead they are using a minimum of two seperate audio recordings (usually at least 3).  If using 2 audio sources, they will have one for the engine noise (usually an omni mic with a very large wind buffer going into a digital audio recorder with an automatically adjusting gain level to prevent overdrive) and a seperate audio recorder for voice (usually a lavalier microphone going into a digital audio recorder with an adjustable gain level to prevent overdrive).  If using a 3rd audio, they would have a pretty robust audio recorder simply recording engine and wind noise to act as a reference for filter information to be applied to the previous two audio recordings.  They would also use a sound library to "dub" in engine noise later for a more pleasing effect.   However, if you are on a budget and want to do something as simple as recording your voice with engine audio.......  then it's highly recommended you purchase a media mod, a lavalier microphone for inside your helmet and a digital audio recording with an adjustable gain level.  Run the microphone into the digital audio recorder and run the line out from the audio recorder into the GoPro media mod.  This will stop maintain a "peak" level for your recordings and stop audio drops caused by overdrive.

Good luck Trond!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

No, nor should you try, this will result in overheating.  Instead just remove the internal battery completely and power the camera externally via a powerbank of a 12V socket with a 5V 2A power USB power converter (readily available at mobile phone stores, auto stores and amazon).

Frankly you shouldn't be putting your hands on or trying to operate any electronics while riding, that's called "Distracted riding/drive" and it's dangerous.  Either pick one mode or the other and concentrate on the road.  Frankly if I were to try to operate my vehical in such a dangerous manner...... I would say it's either easiest to use the smart remote or use voice control.  However voice control will vary depending on the loudness of your bike and environment.

You don't need one.  The Remote comes with a very generous length of velcro which can wrap around the handle bars to keep it secure.  

The remote cannote be charged while in use, nor should you have to.  GoPro claim you can get a 50 hour battery life with the remote after charging.  However it's not recommended you operate your bike for 50 hours as one would expect to get very stiff legs from maintaining the same position for that length of time.  

It depends on the stablization used.  Normal stabilization will stop some lean angle, but once you exceed that lean angle than there will be a sudden movement of the camera angle as it "leans".  Using horizon leveling will give you a greater lean angle than not using it, but again, once you reach a certain point, your camera will indeed "jump" to the lean angle.  Using the Max Lens Mod (not available for use yet until a forthcoming firmware update) will result in the removal of the lean angle completely.

The only video editor that GoPro currently supports is GoPro Quik for Android and iOS.  GoPro does not offer a desktop video editor as there are so many on the market, many are professional and completely free (Da Vinci Resolve) that GoPro would end up investing money and time into an already overcrowded market place.  It's suggested you get Quik for Android or Apple and something like DaVinci resolve for your Mac.

Sound and external mics have nothing to do with the above requirements, not sure why you think it would.  To get the best sound possible, you have to act and think like a professional and do what professionals do.  So when you see a "professional" looking clip online, they are not using "in camera" audio at all.  Instead they are using a minimum of two seperate audio recordings (usually at least 3).  If using 2 audio sources, they will have one for the engine noise (usually an omni mic with a very large wind buffer going into a digital audio recorder with an automatically adjusting gain level to prevent overdrive) and a seperate audio recorder for voice (usually a lavalier microphone going into a digital audio recorder with an adjustable gain level to prevent overdrive).  If using a 3rd audio, they would have a pretty robust audio recorder simply recording engine and wind noise to act as a reference for filter information to be applied to the previous two audio recordings.  They would also use a sound library to "dub" in engine noise later for a more pleasing effect.   However, if you are on a budget and want to do something as simple as recording your voice with engine audio.......  then it's highly recommended you purchase a media mod, a lavalier microphone for inside your helmet and a digital audio recording with an adjustable gain level.  Run the microphone into the digital audio recorder and run the line out from the audio recorder into the GoPro media mod.  This will stop maintain a "peak" level for your recordings and stop audio drops caused by overdrive.

Good luck Trond!

Tourist

[ New ]

Demonviewllc!

Thanks for an outstanding answer, very informative :)

In regards to question 2 I should have been more clear. I was thinking in terms of via the smart remote.

I would not start to fiddle with the mounted cam while in motion. The remote is another ballgame ;) 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Aye, I'm aware of that, but I have to make public safety statements now and again to show I'm a responsible person.  Kinda like the way I say "Don't try this at home..." before mixing baking soda based pizza crust with acidic red wine and putting it in the oven....   let's just say the results were NOT thin and crispy.........  it actually did manage to blow open the door of the oven too....   who knew?

Good luck and if you have any more questions, ask away, if not, hope everything works out and that you remember to upload a video of your bike riding feats and post the link here for others to see!