Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

GoPro often not using external Mic

[ New ]

When using the media mod, and an external Mic, the Hero 9 doesnt always use the external mic, it uses the rubbish Media mod mic.. Sort of makes the camera unusable for anything but plain video.. if you can put up with the sickly yellow cast on video that is...

Gopro, when will you, or more to the point, do you intend of fixing this bug??

GoPro

Re: GoPro often not using external Mic

[ New ]

Hello, @boldridge4531. When the issue occurs, does it come with a change in the audio settings in the camera? Which external mic are you using? Have you been able to try a different external microphone? Does it matter which type of external microphone is used? These details will help isolate the issue. 

Nomad

[ New ]

The type of mic doesnt seem to matter.. any external input.. I have tied and had this happen on

Rode Video Micro x 2
Rode video mic Pro (Powered)

Rode Wireless Go

Rode Rodelink wireless reporter system

Rode Video Go

Rode Lavaleir x 2

It also happens on both the Media Mod and the Audio adapter. 

I have one touch recording turned off

I have voice commands turned off

I turn on the camera, wait for it to show the rear screen and the icons, showing its fully turned on, press record. Often the camera will just use the internal Mic, or the media mod mic if the media mod is being used.(its hard to tell afterwards, I think its the media mod as the sound level read outs always seem to show.

I have to make sure the wind muff is always installed, and outdoors if you dont have this installed, the audio is unusable.. It gives me a slight chance of getting some usable audio, even though the media mod audio is not great..

Nomad

[ New ]

again, the Gopro decided most of the time not to use the external Mic, ruined a heap of footage, and wasted my time.. I F^&^&ing hate these cameras.. Can you please sell GoPro to Sony or someone else that can inject some quality..

Backpacker

[ New ]

What type of connection are your Rode Mics equipped with?  The GoPro like any other camera will only use a TRS connection.  Many Rode mics come with a TRRS connection and require a TRRS to TRS adapter.  Also you need to ensure the mic settings are set properly in the audio settings (powered mic vs standard unpowered mic).