Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GoPro hero 9 panning issues

[ New ]

Hi guys I'm new to go pro and not sure if my problem is user error or an issue with my camera. 
I've been recording some fabulous footage but every time I stand still and pan around the recorded footage plays  back choppy. It  goes at a regular speed then speeds forward then normal then fast etc until I stop panning. Is this a setting issue? I'm recording at 4K linear + horizon levelling.

Tourist

Re: GoPro hero 9 panning issues

[ New ]

seem to have developed a more worrying problem this morning.... turned it on to check settings and now its not responding in anyway.... screens on non of the buttons are doing anything. Is there some sort of reset i can do or will it turn itself off eventually? battery at 60%

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the same problem when I panning the video kicks, recording at 4K
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the similar issue with my GoPro 9. It's my first recording which make me a little bit disappointed. 

Panning is lagging when EIS is on (I tested boost and high). Setting is 4K linear horizon levelling. Memory card is 128GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS which works very well with my GoPro Black 7. 

I have upgraded the software of GoPro 9, but the issue still exists. It makes the brand new camera useless for me.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

panning issue is known.

video and post from Oct.

the issue is present only when linear FOV, not on wide.

I hope the December update will solve it.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

just me... in the car I never use stabilization

if I use, fov is wide or superview... 

linear + horizon leveling in the car only if you roll the car ...

if not, boost or high on wide/superview cope with the small rolls.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Jerky-Panning-Hero-9-FW-v-01-21/m-p/794694#/M172767

https://youtu.be/5jeJmKZeY-s

Backpacker

[ New ]

this is only me, my approach.

I'm not saying is not an issue.

I would try to use the linear+ HL only when make sense.

I would use linear+horizon levelling in MTB or in skiing, kitesurfing, dirtbike, motor biking, ski-jet, jumping from the cliffs, cockpit in the plane or helicopters , etc.  

keeping the horizon level give a fantastic effect when you roll and you have an object that show you the angle — handlebar, the ski, your body when POV , etc.

when the max roll is 45° 

for more I would use MaxLens Mode when complete roll, or over 45°

the stabilisation algorithm is made for this movements, trying to keep the scenery as still as he can.

so the slow panning in linear will "fool" the algorithm, will try to move the reference and therefore those jumps.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro needs to understand today the action camera is being used in one thousand different scenarios, not just for recording sky diving or surfing...

For me, linear is important because I film city streets and buildings. Have tried to use 4K and Wide with Hero 7, but after cropping and distortion fix in post processing, I got ~2.7K. So why not just use 2.7K + Linear on GP7? Stabilization is still useful to produce very smooth video even in a car. Horizon leveling helps only when I walk or ride a bicycle without a gimbal.

My Lumix ZS-70 compact camera also have the jerky panning issue when stabilization is on. I guess it's caused by 

- software (identify the differece between panning and shaking) or 

- hardware (processor is lacking bandwidth)

I wish it's a software issue that can be fixed in the future updates from GoPro. 

Thank you.

Hiker

[ New ]

THIS IS A PAIN IN THE A$$

I paid good money for 5 of these cameras and this jerky movement while panning is a pain. We have been using the cameras for b-roll segments for a national marketing campaign and the camera has let us down. The touch screen component seems to also be poorly designed with bad responsiveness. Its obvious that GOPRO is fully aware of these issues from even before final manufacture as they would have several test units not to forget the copious amount of influencers. If GOPRO is aware of these existing faults from manufacture through to public release then I can only assume GOPRO is culpable for releasing a known faulty product to market. In this age of consumer requirements, this is 100% UNACCEPTABLE

GOPRO FIX THIS ISSUE and STOP wasting our time. This sort of half baked insidious product release is totally uncalled for and seems to be the norm for these companies. Releasing new products without throroughly testing and backing up with little to no support. Thank God you don't manufacture medical equipment.

This will be an issue we will be focusing on for a fix.