Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro hero 8 not being detected by Windows 10

So i bought a gopro hero 8 black last week. I had problems with the connections. I searched online for solutions and ended up buying another cable (USB 3.1-USB C). It was all working great. 

Then, i connect the gopro to the ios app and i'm being prompted to update the gopro. I do it, and after the update, windows 10 does not recognize the device at all. It's installing it as " usb serial device (COM3)". It appears like that in devices (where bluetooth devices are) but it doesn't appear in explorer, and i cannot access it. It stopped appearing in device manager at portable devices. 

Anyone else with this problem ?! 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GoPro hero 8 not being detected by Windows 10

This is because there is a new setting on your GoPro camera.  Go into preferences and go to connection and click on "USB connection".  There are two options.  The default is "GoPro Connect", this is probably for use as a webcam with the beta windows software.  You need to change this to MTP (media transfer protocol) and you will be able to access your GoPro from your PC once again.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

This is because there is a new setting on your GoPro camera.  Go into preferences and go to connection and click on "USB connection".  There are two options.  The default is "GoPro Connect", this is probably for use as a webcam with the beta windows software.  You need to change this to MTP (media transfer protocol) and you will be able to access your GoPro from your PC once again.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I just updated mine an hour ago now my windows 10 doesn't recognize it either

Highlighted
Sightseer

Yes, interesting that they chose to make the default the least likely thing the USB connection would be used for, the Webcam (which is still in beta on the Windows platform). While this is easy enough to fix, seemingly a very strange decision.

Highlighted
Nomad

I agree, however it could be something as simple as the firmware on the GoPro needs to list things in alphabetical order.  So GoPro connect is listed before MTP.

GoPro could have at least mentioned this on the firmware release notes, but still, gives people a chance to make "edumikayshunal" video's to learn people things...  :P

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you. After many curses, you are a life save :)

Highlighted
Nomad

Glad that it worked for you.  Will try a few different USB cables, Media mod on and off and see what works and what doesn't.  Do me a favor though, spread the word about that fix as I'm guessing there will be a lot of people who have this issue.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I just updated my GoPro 8 two days ago and I haven't been able to connect. Your solution fixed this for me. The system in the GoPro auto changed to using it as a webcam and not to transfer files. Thanks so much for posting this answer. I have put a lot of time in and this was such an easy fix!