Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro hero 8 black lcd Screen black, doesn’t respond

I did the manual update like eight times and it’s still not responsive, it charges, turns on, records, but with the screen blacked out I have no idea what I’m shooting, and cannot change the presets. This is total BS because I just got this a week ago this is my first gopro and it’s so stupid to not have a hard reset pin hole or something. All the info says swipe down on the lcd, my LCD is unresponsive so I can’t do that so I can’t reset the camera. Really short sighted design, I hope the dragon capsule has some manual controls on it because TOUCH SCREENS ARE UNRELIABLE. Please help.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GoPro hero 8 black lcd Screen black, doesn’t respond

[ Edited ]

lets see:

check to see if you  have things set up correctly.  turn on camera go to prefrence, go to  touch display and set screen saver off 1 min.

quick capture does not allo any other controler but two buttons the  highlight, and exposure lock.

maybe you had used quick capture.... the old pin in thehole was replaced wit the 12 second Mode on press.

Highlighted
Tourist

The screen won’t turn on, and after the update it will no longer communicate with the go pro app. How do you suggest I check the preferences? It’s really shortsighted to not even be able to control the camera from computer app controls I mean super shortsighted design... do you have any idea how I can check the preferences without being able to use the screen that will not turn on it’s black it won’t turn on so how can I change the preferences?
Highlighted
GoPro

@skylermarshall, If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Highlighted
Adventurer

then by all means sounds like an issue that you and gopro will need to work out.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same problem. LCD screen at the back doesnt work anymore. @aenriquez what are "the suggested troubleshooting steps"? Manual update didn't work.

Highlighted
Tourist

Send it in, they sent me a new one. The only steps are a manual reset. Or to just use the go pro app as a screen, but it will not work anymore after the manual reset because you need the screen for initial setup. So kids going forward if your screen is blacked out but it’s already set up with the app and you’re out of warranty just use the GoPro app as a screen, it sucks but do that or maybe get the attachment screen MOD luckily I still had 6mo left on warranty and I can’t justify spending $20 a month for the go pro plus joint I mean you’re basically buying a GoPro every year so... get that roll cage and the heavy duty accessories, that Amazon crap is totally unreliable it will break! I promise you, it’s going to break especially the handle bar mounts!
Highlighted
Sightseer

@skylermarshall thx for the reply. I just got it 3 weeks ago, so still have warranty on it. Don't understand it though. Phone app as a screen indeed doesnt work anymore after the manual update, but for an action cam not functional anyway.