Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: GoPro hero 7 confused With powering down on external battery

[ New ]
Best of luck with the new cameras. If you have issues, start terrible shooting with cable and power supply. HERO4 didn't have the power management chip (only HERO7), and really has pretty much all different internal components, so it's compatible in name only.

Fingers crossed that it was the camera, and it gets sorted out simply with the replacement.
Adventurer

[ New ]

when I first got the Hero 7.     that was the issue  some of us had.  There is a over 10 page post about this and not a thing was corrected.  GoPro just again updated the app, you think firmware follows...

Hiker

[ New ]

Hiker

[ New ]
Well, I definitely won’t be selling my 4 anytime soon then!
Hiker

[ New ]
GoPro got my Hero7 back - UPS ground from Alaska is “slow boat.” They are processing my new camera. A fiend of mine has his Hero7 being replaced for lines in recordings. But before he sent back, he verified the exact same problem that I had with recording while on external power. I’ve got a sinking feeling about this.

New one will be here quicker (2 day air). I will let you know!
Hiker

[ New ]
My hero seven is supposed to be here today. But this is another way Support has let me down.

When I sent my hero seven in for warranty repair for this problem, they confirm that they would be sending me a new hero seven. I asked them if there is any way they could send me the new one and then I send the old one back, or if I could Send the old one back and then send them the tracking number and then have them send me the new one.

I was told that this could not be done. But I was also told as soon as the old hero seven was logged in as received the new one would be sent out. And, since I was a plus member, the new one would go out second day air.

I got the email they had received the old one last Thursday. But I had no information that the new one had gone out. So I checked with them Friday and they said that I should not of been told immediately, but that it would be 3 to 5 days after they received the old unit before they sent the new one out.

Today I called again. But for a different reason. A friend of mine was able to get them to ship him a new unit immediately for a different problem with his hero seven. He actually got the new one before Go Pro got the old one. And he wasn’t a plus member. So I’m frustrated with him because they told me that they Told me they absolutely Could not do something for me that they Actually decided to do for him.

And then after I talked to them today, they sent me the tracking number. So I thought maybe the unit had gone out today. But guess what. The unit will be here today. Which means the unit was shipped out Friday. Which also means they Did not send me the email with the tracking number like they said they would as soon as they shipped it out.

I am a pretty easy-going guy. And if you days here or there it’s no big deal. I still had my 4 to fall back on for a Sunday event. But it really frustrates me when they tell me certain things that just don’t seem true. So far the only thing I think they’re real good ad tracking is debiting your account when you buy something.

Anyway my hero seven should be here today and I will post using the same scenario how it goes, then I will also try some other suggestions And post those results as well.
Hiker

[ New ]
Bad news. Same freeze on new camera when 1. Internal battery is installed and 2. External battery is hooked up. StRt record and 1-2 seconds in, recording stops and WiFi drops.

So, IF I try removing internal battery and use just external - and it works fine - is there any real deficit to doing this way?? Just because I did it this way with me 4, doesn’t mean7 is the same.

I will try, but I want to have external on a full charge. If that works, then the question becomes why didn’t go pro suggest this when I reported problem in the first place?
Nomad

[ New ]
Works fine with no internal battery, that's how I run mine on my kayak. I had weird issues with the camera shutting down with the internal battery and external together. Basically what would happen is the internal battery would still slowly discharge it would take 4 hours and it would get down to 2 percent and shut off even though the external battery had tons of power left.